Author Topic: Bullet mould interest anyone?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Dennis Daigger

Bullet mould interest anyone?
« on: March 02, 2023, 03:04:39 AM »
I’m hoping to have a CNC’d mould made by Morris Melani and the program could be modified to accommodate a range of calibers. Here is the design that I’m thinking about.

My use is for a cased pistol but obviously it could be used as a bag mould although it would be a more spendy one than the $40 bag moulds available elsewhere.

Dennis

Offline Ron Scott

Re: Bullet mould interest anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 04:55:24 PM »
Hi Dennis,
That is a very attractive design! I think I see a sprue cutter? Any thoughts on pricing?

Offline Hornbuilder

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 06:54:55 PM »
Thats an awesome design ,

Offline Garret

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 07:32:13 PM »
Great project!  I’d like to think there is a need for moulds of this type.  The style is a bit more refined than the standard “bag” mould and would be just the ticket for anyone wishing to put together a cased set.
I’d definitely be interested if the mould is capable of casting a good “shooting” ball.  If you get any pricing ideas I think others would too.
Cheers!
Garret

Offline SciAggie

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 08:03:09 PM »
I'm certainly interested.

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 09:00:45 PM »
Hi Dennis,
That is a very attractive design! I think I see a sprue cutter? Any thoughts on pricing?
Yes, it has a sprue cutter.

I would foot the development cost so the cost to others would be up to Morris related to materials and time and we are discussing that now. Development of fixtures is a major cost of projects like this and the more the fixture is used the lower the cost of each product. My pistol is a .54 caliber and the mould ‘blocks’ will be made large enough to accommodate some range of calibers without having to scale the blocks for each caliber. I think this might reduce the cost to others although that may not be the case but Morris will know whether the computer-generated solids for the CNC could change the cavity and the block diameter simultaneously.

As you know from Morris’ double set triggers that he did for us, his work is top notch and these would be precision moulds that could be used.

Anyone have a general idea what a range of flintlock pistol calibers might be?

Dennis

Offline David G

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 11:54:07 PM »
Interested.

Offline Rado

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 12:38:33 AM »
If Callahan Bulletmolds dont reply to my request via e mail, I would also be interested. Is there an option of sending it to Germany and to pay via PayPal?
Born in Poland, living in Germany. Just a guy who loves history, ideas of freedom and handicrafts.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 12:58:03 AM »
 Do you have any idea of the smallest and largest caliber, I see you mention .54? Let's say the barrel is .50 and now shoots a .490 ball will they be made in sizes like that? In any case I would be interested in at least a couple, once again depending on price.

Thanks, Tim

Offline Matt Evans

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 02:34:07 AM »
Interested

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 04:48:06 AM »
Do you have any idea of the smallest and largest caliber, I see you mention .54? Let's say the barrel is .50 and now shoots a .490 ball will they be made in sizes like that? In any case I would be interested in at least a couple, once again depending on price.

Thanks, Tim
Tim-using CNC the mould cavity would be cut with a ball end mill (probably 1/4” to give the smoothest finish) so any ball diameter could be produced. Like the Tanner moulds 001” diameter increments are possible. Again with CNC ball diameter is not an issue but a very large size would probably need to have the remainder of the mould proportioned. I’ve scaled the pictured mould using an overall length of 7” and the exterior diameter of the blocks is around 1” so a .600” ball would have .200” wall thickness. I don’t know if that is sufficient but I’d be happy with a wall thickness of .235 for a .54 caliber mould (.530” ball).

Morris’ response to me today on cost was ‘let’s make one and see’. So I’m going to work with Morris to make one for my use and through this process he can figure out what a cost would be for any subsequent moulds that someone might want to purchase. This way others will have a ready source for a mould without any commitment and then each of you can make an independent decision.

Our intent is to do this right away. I have traced a transparency and created a side view drawing that Morris can start work with and I’ll post progress updates.
Dennis

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 11:51:37 PM »
 Thanks, Tim

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2023, 03:46:43 AM »
I would say interest is pretty decent. I actually enjoy casting balls from this type of mold over the big more modern styles.
Psalms 144

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 09:48:10 PM »
Dennis,

I am most definitely interested.  Thanks
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Spalding

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2023, 02:27:15 AM »
I’d be interested too.
Bob

Offline Garret

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2023, 09:57:59 PM »
Thanks Dennis!  This is great news.

I have a cased pair of Caywood pistols in .62 so would be interested in a .600 dia as the largest size.  I'm not sure if .200 wall thickness would be enough but might be usable as long as I can cast fast enough to keep the mould from cooling too quickly LOL!

Others I might be interested in are .410, .530, .560. 

Cheers!

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2023, 01:02:59 AM »
My interest level is high as that looks like a really nice design. Cost would be my determining factor on if I bought one. .595 and .610 are the sizes I use most.

Offline DCAN

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2023, 04:28:29 AM »
Interested in a couple of them when it gets going.

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 05:08:33 AM »
I'd be interested in one, in a 350 size, for my squirrel rifle. Obviously price dependent, but I know quality molds cost money.

Offline Ssags70

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2023, 05:08:42 AM »
Dependent on cost I would be interested in a few. Thank you for thinking of us.

Offline Niall

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2023, 07:02:12 PM »
I'd certainly be interested.

Offline teakmtn

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2023, 08:50:40 PM »
I'd be interested in a .570 mould if and when they came available.

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2023, 10:37:27 PM »
I would be interested in a .570 and a .610.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2023, 06:45:52 PM »
In order to be most cost effective, this should be made on a 5-axis CNC mill.  Everything could be machined in one operation, and no fixtures would be necessary.

Jim

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2023, 07:11:22 PM »
Dennis I'm interested as well