Author Topic: March Postal Match  (Read 7322 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: March Postal Match
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2023, 07:39:14 PM »
Exactly - odd time in the summer, I am wishing there was some snow around. Shooting in cold weather with a thin walled barrel, heat mirage is troubling after one shot.
Putting my rifle in the snow only worked for one shot. Taylor's Virginia rifle, with the little .50 hold in the "C(or D)" barrel allowed 5 shots - a LOT more steel than my Beck.
My sights are also very low to the barrel. Too, in March, the sun has some warmth to it and also heats a dark black/blue barrel, more than browned and much more than
bright.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2023, 01:19:52 AM »
Good shooting Taylor. You too Marc.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2023, 04:17:08 AM »
I would have liked to shoot this match but the snow is deeper at my range that a 4x4 can handle. Sure hope it starts to melt soon as Turkey season is next month and spring Bear hunt for me on May15 just south of Hudson Bay, Sask.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2023, 05:34:47 PM »
We need more folks shooting this one.  Not being a competitive type I will be happy to have someone beat my score.  This is my first postal match, and I thought my target was a loser for sure.  Of course I did not have snow on the ground or freezing temps.  God bless, Marc

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2023, 05:45:49 PM »
I think I got a 26 and a 35 yesterday. Those little dots are tough to see! 

Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2023, 07:17:05 PM »
I turned them around for you Rich...Just easier for me to look at.

There is no way I can see those three bulls from 25 yards over my sights, so I used a 1 18" black spot, and still had serious problems seeing them.  This target is as much a test of your vision as your shooting ability.  Great to see you out shooting Rich.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2023, 08:57:46 PM »
The more the merrier. ;D
Glad you got out, Rich. Tough target, eh.
The head scores 15, 10, 9. So, each of our targets is 1 point higher than noted.
I thought they were 8's as well, but was wrong.
Daryl

Offline JBJ

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2023, 12:30:43 AM »
Rich,
All of us are delighted that you got and wacked the crows! Target one was a 27 (0,0,8, head 9, body 10 = 27) . Target two is a 26 (8, 0, 0, head 9, and body 9 = 26). Sure hope that you can get out again  and post some more targets.

J.B.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2023, 12:36:33 AM »
Taylor,
 I readily acknowledge that this is a tough target but suggested at the outset that shooters use a aiming pointer or spotter (a nod to older eyes and eyesight issues)and made it any position at 25 yards (again a nod to age and physical ability. With an aiming point and a rest, the target becomes a challenge to shooting ability. 
Thanks for turning the target around.

J.B.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2023, 02:13:26 AM »
Right JB. I used a high visibility triangle spotter and shot off the bench. Less an eyesight contest, but in the low light I did struggle.

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2023, 02:31:57 AM »
First time doing one of these, it was a day I do not want to repete. Early sun was bad and snow was bright, got some clouds and things got better, then I dryballed after a pair of 8s. Went to the shop to pull the ball and ended up pulling the barrel and the breech. Should have quit. So back I go, trudge thru the snow to finish the third target. It gets worse but I'll stop now. Some sort of cognitive crazyness. Shot yesterday and it was superb. Anyway this is the best I did.

find duplicate words in text file online
50cal from the bench 55 grains cartridge powder 2f 495 ball 021 patch.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 02:35:26 AM by ed lundquist »

Offline JBJ

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2023, 02:47:49 AM »
Ed,
That was quite a struggle! You're tougher than me. A couple of dryballed efforts and I might have been tempted to pack it up and head to the barn Darn snow is plaguing a lot of folks this month. At any rate, you are looking at a 26. Hope that you get a chance to try another day before the month slips away from us. Thanks.
J.B.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2023, 02:53:57 AM »
Marc,
Thanks for sharing that note re the triangular spotter. A month or so past, Marc posted a picture of his triangle spotter used in that picture against a plain background. I have tried his method and it sure helped these 79+ eyeballs.

J.B.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2023, 03:59:57 AM »
Actually, my usual target of preference is the bold triangle.  Defined aiming point.

Offline PK

• Starting Member
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2023, 02:12:34 PM »
Marc,
Thanks for sharing that note re the triangular spotter. A month or so past, Marc posted a picture of his triangle spotter used in that picture against a plain background. I have tried his method and it sure helped these 79+ eyeballs.

J.B.

I did a search for triangle spotter and just came up with this post. What’s it all about?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2023, 02:25:57 PM »
Marc,

J.B.

I did a search for triangle spotter and just came up with this post. What’s it all about?

It’s not a device to spot triangles! A spotter is a piece of paper placed on a target as an aiming point. Often used in chunk gun matches.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JBJ

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2023, 03:51:21 PM »
Rich, you are spot on (oh that's bad ;D). Chunk gun shooters have it down to an art form as they take their precision shooting seriously. With the tip of that triangle hopefully pointing to where the bullet is going to strike, it's a more visible reference for aging eyes (not that there are any aging eyes here on the Forum). I find that bright orange triangles are often best for my eyes but on gloomy dark days, the bright green triangle really stands out against a black target. I have to admit that my knees complain about me walking back and forth to the target to shift the spotter to the next bull. However, the spotter is no cure all. It still requires all of the other inputs required of the marksman to send that ball to the tip of the triangle. And you must know where your rifle is shooting and adjust the spotter triangle accordingly. Bottom-line, it's all fun and all of us get a kick out of sending that ball down range and seeing a big fat hole sitting there in the 10-ring.
Thanks, Rich.
J.B.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2023, 07:54:47 PM »
PK.
As has been said before - A picture is worth a thousand words.

Give it a try. I think you may find it helpful.

J.B.

Offline PK

• Starting Member
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2023, 11:44:41 PM »
PK.
As has been said before - A picture is worth a thousand words.

Give it a try. I think you may find it helpful.

J.B.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try. It will take the guess work out of locating those little bullseyes.

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2023, 11:01:30 PM »
OK, the pointy triangle thing would certainly help. Mostly I was taking aim points relative to where I knew the target was relative to the crows body. Here are my two tries. My gun a .45, with .440 RB, .018 patch lube was Hoppes, 70 gr 3F, sand bag rest on bench, 28 degrees, light breeze from behind. Used snow shoes to get out and set the target, otherwise snow was crotch deep.

Target 1

Target 2

This is the first time I have entered a target in the monthly match. I claim 0 points as using peep sights.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2023, 11:55:13 PM »
foresterdj,
Setting targets by snowshoes has to be the winner for effort! Really glad that you got out there and joined in the match. Target 2 is a 34 (8, 0, head 9, body 9, and an 8 = 34). There's still some month left and maybe you can get out there and try the "pointy triangle thing".
Thanks for joining in this month and hope that you will be a regular from now on.

J.B.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2023, 02:41:57 AM »
That 34 is a decent target. It's not an easy one by any means.
Daryl

Offline Jakob

« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2023, 06:33:33 AM »
Ok, now I understand what you mean with a 'moveable spotter' (And now will have to try to get to the range again tomorrow).

I would, however, normally say that half the challenge (or in this targets case, maybe even 80%) is the fact that the aim points are hard too see, which for me, personally makes the targets a bigger challenge.

And now, having said that, I'll probably shoot worse tomorrow than I did without the aids!.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2023, 06:56:46 AM »
When you go to a regular chunk gun match you can see a vast variety of spotter shapes. I like the triangle with the point at the bottom squared off with about an inch or so wide. I can see that with the width of my front sight just covering it at 60 yds. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2023, 07:09:11 AM »
Smylee,
I think a circle would be a better shooting aid.
....a piece of pipe to shoot down that ended just clear of the target!

I have too much to do, but Hope to go out try this tomorrow!  (not the pipe bit though!)