Author Topic: March Postal Match  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: March Postal Match
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2023, 05:01:47 PM »
Daryl here kindly sent me some targets for this month!

Thank you Daryl!
Sadly, he omitted the holes, so I guess I have to make a few of my own!
Minus 20C still, like eternal winter here and snow up around our ears, LOL!

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2023, 03:53:07 AM »
Already the middle of the month, and no more shooters? Looks like I might win!! haha

Offline Daryl

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2023, 05:48:09 AM »
I'm waiting for a call from my bro that my lock is finished and we need to shoot this match. Can't let the youngster win now, can we?
A 35 to beat!  Gotta get that head's white spot gonzo. 3 other 10's would help. Could even miss a target. LOL Cool target. If worse
come to worse, I might have to use my target rifle. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:51:49 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2023, 10:53:22 PM »
Well, I thought today being overcast was going to be the perfect shooting day.  Hmmmm.....it IS possible to be too overcast.  Even with my best reading/range glasses it was really hard to distinguish my sights against the crow target. 

I got five into the attached target, and not the best in the world considering how the rifle normally shoots.   I was shooting a second crow target, and got three 10s in a row going right to left.  That righthand circle is a beast for my eyes to see.  Shot #4?  I wasn't holding firm enough, and the gun torqued as the ball left the barrel.  I called the flyer "left" as it left the gun.  Score for that ball?   ZERO.  I realized that even if I got another 10, it would not be cumulatively better than the first target, so I stopped.  So this is my scoring target for this month.  Taylor and Daryl are going to wipe the floor with me for sure. 

.495 RB with .018 The Minute-Men patching wet-lubed with Mr Flintlock.  72 grains of 2f Goex.  Green Mountain heavy 36" barrel.  Capgun.  Green Mountain makes serious barrels.....just wish I could shoot to their capabilities. 

BTW, what threw me on the righthand target was that the edge of the paper against a brown cardboard background made it hard to judge windage.  Put a big white piece of paper behind your 8.5" x 11" crow target.  I wish I had. 

Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2023, 01:27:48 AM »
Nice target, Marc! Yikes - going to be hard to beat that one.
Daryl

Offline JBJ

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2023, 03:08:03 AM »
Marc,
Gracious, that's a couple of close shots to call. From left to right: 8, 8, 9, then on the crow's head a 9, and the body as a 10 = 44. That first target is oh so close that I struggled with an 8 vs a 9. Well done!

J.B.

Offline alacran

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2023, 03:22:26 PM »
I won't be shooting this match , since I am not allowed to lift anything bigger than a coffee cup with my left arm. So, I don't have skin in this game. I know the rules called for any position. But it would be nice if the position that is used is mentioned.
Justin states he shot his target offhand. I reread Marc's pot three times, but the position isn't mentioned.
Just saying.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2023, 05:12:50 PM »
Good gravy!  I benched that gun. No way I could shoot offhand at targets that tiny and hit. Especially with a heavy barrel.  I can hit clay birds at 50 yards with a swamped barrel, but those tiny bulls?  No way.  It would take betters eyes than mine and stronger arms. God bless, Marc
PS Did I misread the meaning of “any position”?  If I violated the rules, I will disqualify myself.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2023, 06:10:30 PM »
Nice target Marc!  I’ll have one posted in the next week or so

Tony

Offline Daryl

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2023, 07:36:19 PM »
Us too. We need to get out shooting - TAYLORRRRRRRRRR!
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2023, 08:43:40 PM »
I've been working hard on this Hawken re-build for Ken, so I haven't begun to polish your lock yet.  We can shoot it the way it is for now, and when I get around to that part of the queue, I will get at your lock.  I'm anxious too, to get out and do some shooting...supposed to be 7 C here today and sunshine all day.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2023, 10:18:39 PM »
Getting late now - supposed to be 9 tomorrow - that's almost 50F. Balmy weather for sure.
12 at Timmy's?
Daryl

Offline JBJ

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2023, 03:38:28 PM »
Guys, ANY POSITION. As Daryl said at the outset to me - that's a tough target. Also, some of us are a bit on the elderly side and those tiny  bulls require vision and muscle strength/control that are now nothing but fond memories. But, we still like to try!

Alacran, hope that shoulder is coming along and wish you were shooting this round.
All of you be safe and take care.

J.B.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2023, 02:04:28 AM »
Oh yeah- that was frustrating. Bad sun position, bad heat waves - had to lay the rifle in the snow. Should have done that right off the bat - LOL
Those are the reasons I suck at this - no excuses.
 - I had trouble with elevation, etc. Ran charges with this new powder from 85to 90gr. then finished at 80gr. .021" denim , WWWF + oil
.495" pb Lyman mould. Been a year since trying this rifle - seemed to work - no (valid) excuses.
25 yards single rest.
Should have used my match rifle. LOL
Tough target for old eyes. & I used aiming points, too. Like I said. N. E.

Daryl

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2023, 02:29:00 AM »
We'll see what JB says Daryl, but I think that target you shot on the right at least equals what I shot.  Probably better.  Ayep.  A tough target for sure. 

Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2023, 03:11:06 AM »
Tks, yes we'll see what he says.
Daryl

Offline Jakob

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2023, 03:43:44 AM »
Super bright day made it really hard to see the target. Not gonna complain too much, as it was +4C and I could use my old lube, gun was easy to load and didn't need wiping at all. It's so much more enjoyable when you aren't fighting the gun. Did have several caps that wouldn't go off first time.
My best target is so-so

It's really hard when you can't see exactly what you're aiming at and are just trying to place it in the right area, but then that's what these 'competitions' are for, right?

Edit: Printing on card stock worked really well! Highly recommended!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 03:53:43 AM by Jakob »

Offline JBJ

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2023, 04:14:16 AM »
Daryl,
It would help these old eyes if you would post a larger picture of each target. Even when I clicked the "+" button, I still struggled to make a couple of calls. I do not want to miscall any of the shots. I would really appreciate it.

J.B.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2023, 04:57:23 AM »
I think this is the one in question.
To me, the upper middle target is definitely a miss.
The right hand one, maybe not & the eyeball one might be 9.
It's up to the scorer.

Before the end of the month, I'd like to get out again.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 05:02:37 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline JBJ

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2023, 02:13:17 PM »
Thanks, Daryl
That was the target! I scored it as 27. The crow's head is scored as a pinwheel removing the white dot is 15, next ring out a 10 and then a nine. Your top two targets are a 34 and a 27.  Still several days left in the month and I hope that you will get out your match rifle and wear that crow out.
Again, thanks for the help with that right hand target.

J.B.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2023, 04:48:21 PM »
Poor old crow.    ;-) 

Offline JBJ

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2023, 07:38:30 PM »
We need some more crow shooters! I know that here are a lot of shooters out there and I hope that you will join the fun. That's what it is all about - having a bit of fun. Really hope to hear from more of you guys and gals!

J.B.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2023, 08:05:24 PM »
Daryl's quick to post...I had to take some drugs and sit for a bit when I got home, so am posting this morning.
I used some 1 1/8" discs of black card stock over those three small bull's eyes and some white ones on the crow's head and body shots.  Even then, with the heat waves I had difficulty seeing the targets, and my shooting shows it.  As frustrating as it was, it was very enjoyable to get out into the sunshine and do some shooting.
I used my Chamber's Virginia rifle in .50 cal with .490" balls, .021" denim patches and Lehigh Valley lube.  Charge was 86 gr. FFg GOEX.  I shot from a table with my hand holding the rifle in a single rest.
I scored mine, but I'll defer to the scorer of course...not in contention either way and no Lexus prize at the end of it all.

I used a snow bank to cool my barrel off too...Daryl's rifle in the picture.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2023, 11:45:52 PM »
Tayl;or,
I make your score to be 43. A couple were real squeakers. Well done - you are in second place at this point! Hope you guys will get out again before the month gets away from us.

J.B.

Offline taterbug

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2023, 07:24:58 PM »
Good shooting!!  the snow is good for something then?!   ;D