Author Topic: Lancaster horns  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Dan Herda

Lancaster horns
« on: April 21, 2023, 06:39:04 AM »
How was the rope design that is common on Lancaster horns created originally and how do present day makers create this?
Tia for any help

sad poems about life by famous poets

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Lancaster horns
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 02:25:16 PM »
Looks like two rings turned on the lathe when the butt is being turned, and then a shallow gauge the width of the rings used to make chip cuts in between the two rings all the way around.  Probably while the butt is still mounted on the lathe, I'd assume, as it would be the easiest way to hold it I would think.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 02:36:57 PM »
 If you can find "The Book Of Buckskinning II" page 146, there is an article about how to carve the "Rope".

Tim C.

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 07:52:18 PM »
Thank you both for the reply.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 03:46:29 PM »
The Book of Buckskinning 2 is covering a York county horn rope carving.  Which is a relief carved rope, which is a different technique from this incised type of carving on a Lancaster horn. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 12:22:47 AM »
The Book of Buckskinning 2 is covering a York county horn rope carving.  Which is a relief carved rope, which is a different technique from this incised type of carving on a Lancaster horn.

In that case it may have been pressed in not carved. I was working from some old notes and not thinking, My mistake.

Tim
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 12:28:05 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 01:53:06 AM »
I just looked in Art DeCamp's book, "Pennsylvania Horns Of The Trade.". The first paragraph in the chapter on Lancaster County horns states, "The Lancaster powder horn with impressed rope design on the butt... essentially became a brand for powder horns from that area."
I guess you have your answer there.
-Joe Stein

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 02:17:20 AM »
Yes, sorry instead of asking how, ( I read Art DeCamps book) I should have asked what type of tool or devise was used ? Am curious what this tooling may look like.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 03:27:15 AM »
Somewhere along the line I had heard that there was at least one horn 'factory' and perhaps more located in Lancaster sometime in the first half of the 1800s. I did see a horn once, (still chagrined that I did not buy it) that had a company name stamped into the butt plug, but don't recall it today. Side story was that soft pine was used for plug material and soaked in water to make it softer at which time the rope design was stamped into the wood with a press and a die. Makes sense as the same process was employed to make designs in wood chair backs and such other uses. The horn I passed on was a screw tip with the end missing so that is probably why I didn't add it to the pile. I'm smarter now.
Dick

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 11:22:59 PM »
Heck! I thought this was a shift knob for the vehicle!! Would be cool to have one like that on my Mustang! lol
Best regards, Dave  8) 8)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 04:54:58 PM »
Please accept my apologies if necessary. I think thats a fine old horn. I looked at a couple like that in a shop in Lancaster back in 97 but was not able to buy them.
Just wasnt back into our hobby then.
Best regards and apologies.
Dave 8) 8)

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 10:30:03 AM »
Please accept my apologies if necessary. I think thats a fine old horn. I looked at a couple like that in a shop in Lancaster back in 97 but was not able to buy them.
Just wasnt back into our hobby then.
Best regards and apologies.
Dave 8) 8)

Hey no apology necessary,!  “you mite be a Horner if your gear selector is a Lancaster base plug”.😂😂

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2023, 09:26:55 AM »
Dan, if you would please, show the spout end of the horn. These varied somewhat and it would be nice to see what you have on this one. They can be 'bottle nose' with differing refinements and then the always popular 'screw tip'. Dave, your comment was great; a gear shifter!
Dick

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2023, 09:43:22 PM »
Dan, if you would please, show the spout end of the horn. These varied somewhat and it would be nice to see what you have on this one. They can be 'bottle nose' with differing refinements and then the always popular 'screw tip'. Dave, your comment was great; a gear shifter!
Dick

Yes, the bottle tip is pretty signature and this is a good horn I’ll duplicate.
The shifter would be especially nice in my “Lancaster Buick”😂

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2023, 09:45:53 PM »
This is in the works

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2023, 10:23:00 PM »
 Looks like a good start. Nice choice on the raw stock.

Tim
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 10:29:24 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 07:56:17 AM »
Dan, thanks a whole bunch for the great photos of the entire horn. My, my, my it is a pretty one with everything that makes a good Lancaster horn. Condition is great! The tip is quite nice and well formed and is pretty much classic. Thank you again.
Dick

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2023, 11:25:49 AM »
Dan, thanks a whole bunch for the great photos of the entire horn. My, my, my it is a pretty one with everything that makes a good Lancaster horn. Condition is great! The tip is quite nice and well formed and is pretty much classic. Thank you again.
Dick

You’re most welcome. I agree it’s really a great pc. And clean work!