General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Flintlock shooting

(1/5) > >>

hortonstn:
Do you ever feel something hit your face when shooting just like dust
Shooting LH rifle Left handed?

TDM:
I'm right handed and shoot right handed flints, but yes, if you watch slow motion video of flint ignition there are sparks/particles flying everywhere. Luckily the design of locks throws most of this to the side and slightly forward. I personally have never been hit, but I know others that have. Eye protection is important, sometimes I forget, but I shouldn't.

Daryl:
I will not shoot any muzzleloader without eye protection and you shouldn't either.
My wife has never shot a flinter, but back in the 70's caught a tiny piece of cap in her
right eyelid. She had a small green spot there for 30 years, and one day, it just fell out/
off while washing her face. No mark, just gone.
Had her eye not been closed at ignition, that cap frag would have pierced her eyeball.

TDM:

--- Quote from: Daryl on March 06, 2023, 06:04:57 AM ---I will not shoot any muzzleloader without eye protection and you shouldn't either.
My wife has never shot a flinter, but back in the 70's caught a tiny piece of cap in her
right eyelid. She had a small green spot there for 30 years, and one day, it just fell out/
off while washing her face. No mark, just gone.
Had her eye not been closed at ignition, that cap frag would have pierced her eyeball.

--- End quote ---

Can't disagree on that.

alacran:
First time I went to Friendship, I was startled that the range allowed shooters to shoot without safety glasses or hearing protection.
Actually, I was dumbfounded by the stupidity.  Just from a liability standpoint this is stupid. Really made me question the credibility of the organization and its leadership.
There is no weapon that I will shoot without safety glasses of some sort. All the ranges that I shoot at will not allow you to shoot without safety glasses and hearing protection.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version