Author Topic: Patchbox release question.  (Read 781 times)

Offline Rt5403

Patchbox release question.
« on: March 07, 2023, 04:38:10 AM »
I know how the release from the comb and the toe plate work but I've seen some rifles where the patchbox release button is in the place of one of the patchbox screws. How is this done exactly

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Patchbox release question.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 05:56:37 AM »
Not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for, but I’m thinking you could probably incorporate the release in place of a screw with this design.  Credit to Marc Hammel who sent me the drawing.  This was for a NC rifle, where this type of setup was used.  As you’ll see in the drawing and photo, a push rod was used for the release, so it’s not disguised as a screw, but again, you could probably engineer it that way.

Hope this helps…,  Best,

Ed

Ed Wenger

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 06:53:33 AM »
Not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for, but I’m thinking you could probably incorporate the release in place of a screw with this design.  Credit to Marc Hammel who sent me the drawing.  This was for a NC rifle, where this type of setup was used.  As you’ll see in the drawing and photo, a push rod was used for the release, so it’s not disguised as a screw, but again, you could probably engineer it that way.

Hope this helps…,  Best,

Ed

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 10:33:08 PM »
Here's another example, ie:  a rifle inspired by Jacob Kuntz, featuring a button the upper plate of the patch box, but not a screw head.  In this case the majority of the box is held down with a multitude of small brass escutcheon nails.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline StevenV

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 04:00:12 AM »
Here is one I did , more than one way to skin a cat I suppose. I started with the pic of an original, so I pretty much kept to that style, with minor variations. The two nuts allow you to "fine tune" the "release screw" so not so obvious. If I remember correctly,  it was very nerve racking for  me. After making the patch box and then drilling a hole in your side plate after already inletted. I probably stared at the patch box for some time and I believe I even considered a different release before " going for it". Steve

Offline Algae

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 05:30:16 AM »
Abosolutley gorgeous!! Thank you!

Al J.