Author Topic: Black Powder Shooting  (Read 1893 times)

Offline 83nubnEC

Black Powder Shooting
« on: March 08, 2023, 04:02:54 PM »
a question to those who make their own roundball lube. To what consistency do you make the lube? Semi hard (to where you rub the patch against the lube) or to a tooth paste constancy and apply by putting the lube on your fingers and rubbing against the patch? Thanks for any input to questions.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Black Powder Shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 04:35:43 PM »
There will be many different methods. I like my patches soaked clear through with lube. I use Bear oil, or Hoppies or a Bear oil/track of the wolf mink oil mix.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 07:59:44 PM »
No matter what I am using for lube, the patch is saturated, then squeezed out to remove the excess. I like oils for hunting, marmot oil, Track's Mink Oil (heated and soaked in) or Neetsfoot Oil, Bear oil. Bear grease heated and soaked in. In that order of preference.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 05:24:39 PM »
Same here,
Patch soaked in deer tallow and squeezed out a bit, or put on paper to cool and set.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 07:48:08 PM »
You are going to get as many answers as you get reply's. After years of trying different lubes (all worked, just some better than others) I settled on a 50/50 mix of T.O.T.W. mink oil and PURE Neeetsfoot oil.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 05:20:45 AM »
60 dawn 40 water, patching good and soaking wet. I run this all day, even multiple days, no swabbing or cleaning

Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 11:15:01 PM »
Like smilee grouch I use TOW mink oil, Hoppes and rarely a mixture with WW fluid.  I like patches soaked through without being drippy.  Any excess is always squeezed out onto the muzzle when the prb is seated.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 09:02:50 PM »
For trail walks, I usually use WWWF plus a tich of Neestfoot Oil, about 1 ounce to 10 ounces of liquid. WWWF is Winter Windshield Washer Fluid(the blue stuff). The oil is added
merely to slow down evapouration in the summer.  I shake it up and apply it to pre-cut patches, squeeze out the excess and pour that back in to the glass btl. or wath ever it's in.
This is not for hunting.
Mink Oil usually, for hunting.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 11:03:00 PM »
As Mulebrain mentioned, Dawn is pretty effective and very slippery.  It will also help unclog a clogged toilet if you encounter that problem.  Probably too much information but the stuff is very slippery.

Offline Wil

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 01:44:00 AM »
I read about how some guys like to melt their TOTW Mink oil and then run their strip of patch material through and then take two fingers and run the patch through to squeeze out the excess. I am here to tell you that after trying that, I will never ever do that again. Yuk! Boy, talk about a big sticky mess.

Offline PAhunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 03:37:30 PM »
60/40 bees wax and crisco in the can. Has worked very good for me.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2023, 08:20:38 PM »
 IMO Crisco and bee’s wax are only good if you want to plug up your gun, and set the woods on fire. Crisco has a very low flash point that leaves smoldering patches. And bee’s wax tends to leave a crusty deposit right where the powder charge contacts the ball. This has all been experienced in sunny California weather, where the humidity is low, and the sun is hot.

Hungry Horse

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2023, 10:27:50 PM »
Wil: When you dip the strips in the melted T.O.T.W. mink oil hold the top of the material with a set of pliers, after soaking hold the strip above the can and using needle nose pliers run them down the strip. The extra runs right into the can and no mess., guess how I figured this out.
Welcome to the rabble.
"Muskrat" Mike
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.