Author Topic: Are you comfortable or reluctant to post your builds?  (Read 5574 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Are you comfortable or reluctant to post your builds?
« on: March 08, 2023, 11:57:17 PM »
I don’t have hard data but I think there are a lot of guns being built by members who are active here; maybe twice as many as get shared. Maybe even more builds get finished by our members and not shared.

If you’re comfortable posting your work here, and do, thank you on behalf of everyone.

If you’re building guns and not posting them here, we’d like to know why and encourage you to share your work. I have some ideas about barriers, but hope to hear from our members.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bnewberry

Re: Are you comfortable or reluctant to post your builds?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 12:16:41 AM »
Reluctant.

Reasons: I am a neophyte and slow.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 12:33:14 AM »
Rich a few months ago I posted a rifle to sell, you commented you would like to see more of my work. I struggle with typing and computers,I bet I'm not the only one. I built a rifle for  my son that I will try to post pics sometime in the furture. Thank you for the good comments you gave me on the rifle I sold.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 12:48:17 AM »
Somewhat reluctant. I recently put a gun on here that got a sideways comment about being a “night time” gun or something like that. I took it as stupid and unnecessary. I’m not a timid guy but I can see guys being hesitant to post their work in fear of being ripped apart by the experts. Most of what I do is generic, basic, honest gun work and not terribly noteworthy so I don’t bother. I’m good with it and the future owner is happy with it too. I’m comfortable being a middle of the road gun maker and nothing beyond that. No need to invite criticism.
W
Stop Marxism in America

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 01:03:00 AM »
Here ya go Rich. Iam not much of a   photographer. Critics welcome. Tennessee style Harrison walnut. Wish I had more of it.  ⁹

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 01:52:22 AM by P.Bigham »
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 01:23:56 AM »
Nice sleek lines, Paul. What parts did you make?
Andover, Vermont

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 01:42:47 AM »
I normally make the butt plate and trigger gaurd. But I've yet to get my forge set up. These are Ross Dillions.  I made the rest except barrel, lock and triggers. Oh also screws and bolts.

Offline Clint

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 01:57:54 AM »
Rich,
We need to encourage people to post during the construction phase of their builds rather than their finished efforts. The first thing I look at on a gunstock is the lock molding. That molding tells a lot about a person's experience, but after the gun is stained and finished , there isn't a lot of advice you can give. We want to see you WORKING, not reflecting on the work that you did.    C Wright

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 02:23:33 AM »
Reluctant.

Reasons: I am a neophyte and slow.

Ditto, I have posted a couple in progress and I’ll probably need guidance, hence the reason to post. When I finish I’ll for sure post completed pics for critique and I’m sure there will be plenty.

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 02:36:55 AM »
I've done a few start to finish builds with documentation all along the way. I did it not as a tutorial but mostly for my entertainment and as a way for me to recall in later years how I did them. My kids also enjoy reading them.

I had one that got out of hand and I had to lock the topic and another that I deleted entirely. Most of the time people were supportive. So I'm not reluctant because I have some control as the original poster. I would like even more control and be able to delete unwanted comments.

What I will never do again is complain to the moderators. I felt bitch slapped every time. Fool me twice shame on me...

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 02:45:43 AM »
No reluctance, but sometimes it's just too much hassle to get good pics, move them between phones, cameras and computers, etc.  Or just don't think it's a project noteworthy enough to document.  Of course last rifle I finished I posted but within a day, in what I thought was rather poor form, another maker hijacked the thread to try and sell one of his guns - was easier just to delete the whole post and move on.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 02:46:06 AM »
I posted all 5 of my builds, #1 only reluctantly to show all the rookie mistakes on it, the other builds were pretty good in comparison.

I didn't post a TC Renegade rebuild but I have posted the problems that I encountered with doing an L&R lock swap.

I didn't post a very old TC kit assembly that surprised me with how much gunsmith knowledge it took to get it together, the kit was pretty rough.

I didn't post a TC Hawken with a new GM barrel rebuild with a stock with a lot of internal flaws that I had to correct.

Stuff like this, doing away with the stripped tang wood screws and replacing them with real tang bolts threaded into brass bushings I installed in the trigger inlet. This was an old prewarning stock and hardware that couldn't have the tang bolt threaded into the trigger plate because the trigger plate was too short. And a lot more.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 02:52:59 AM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 02:57:27 AM »
Rich,
We need to encourage people to post during the construction phase of their builds rather than their finished efforts. The first thing I look at on a gunstock is the lock molding. That molding tells a lot about a person's experience, but after the gun is stained and finished , there isn't a lot of advice you can give. We want to see you WORKING, not reflecting on the work that you did.    C Wright

This.  When I first started going to shows, folks were ripping me apart.  And it hurt, but it was the only way to learn because I had not yet been able to get my hands on many antiques and photos in books do not give you everything you need.  If you're doing something wrong, why wouldn't you want someone to tell you?  I've been a participant on this site since the beginning and everyone here is a good guy even if someone chooses to call you a stooge now and then.  I still love ya all even if I have to plan to go Monte Cristo on yo a ss at some point down the line!   ;D ;D ;D

We're all grown adults I think; shouldn't be a need to tippy toe around.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 03:00:02 AM »
Rich,

I can see this point of view. Beneath it is some premise, right? Is it that that the primary goal of sharing work in progress is to receive suggestions on how to improve the work?

If that’s it, what about when John Bivins posts? (I know he has passed, and no disrespect intended AT ALL). 

I’m just asking these questions to get at “why do we post?”  “Why do we not post?” “How do we want or intend to respond when people do post their work?” “Will our responses depend on who is posting?”

Sorry if I’m too touchy-feely here. The moderators want to encourage posting work, finished or in progress, by all our members, from first-timers to professionals.
Andover, Vermont

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 03:08:24 AM »
I like seeing all pictures in the works or finished. A poster can ask for critiques or post for work their proud of. This is a great site to learn or just share.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2023, 03:19:40 AM »
I think that anyone who has the staying power to finish a rifle/gun/pistol and posts it here should be celebrated for their accomplishment.  It is a big deal!  I also agree with our late Don Getz who said that although congratulations are always in order, it does the builder no good if all he gets is "ataboys".  Don was always quick to congratulate and held no punches when constructive criticism was in order.  He was always able to accomplish that with grace and charm, if not sensitivity.
This is a good thread Rich...thanks for posting it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2023, 03:29:44 AM »
Comments like calling someone's work a poachers rifle that's only used at night so it wouldn't be seen isn't helpful or constructive criticism. Can't unring the bell after reading something like that.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2023, 03:34:18 AM »
Comments like calling someone's work a poachers rifle that's only used at night so it wouldn't be seen isn't helpful or constructive criticism. Can't unring the bell after reading something like that.
I see that you noticed too. Thank you! I’m sure that whoever posted this probably tutored Bivins or House or Pippert or someone else of that level of skill.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2023, 03:37:31 AM »
Hi,
I post my projects all the time, including how I make them. I am sure there are some who think I am grand standing and looking for the pat on the back.  Far from it.  I take the educational mission of this site and the "Muzzleloading Forum" seriously. I put my production right out in front of everyone, including my mistakes, problems and triumphs.  I urge others to do the same but it is hard for many folks to reveal themselves like that, especially online.  However, the real value of this site is just that. Sharing information, critiquing work, providing detailed information and teaching by example.  But there is a down side.  There are those who are annoyed that ALR members can learn things cheaply on the site that they had to discover by long hard work. They are doubly incensed when their hard won knowledge is ignored or challenged by newcomers. There are folks who struggle accepting advise and criticism and take umbrage. Posting work is a complex milieu of motives and personalities.  I wish I could waive a wand and have all of us work for each other but that is not going to happen.  I can only hope that the mission of this forum prioritizes its education objective and others recognize that is the real mission.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline wogden

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2023, 03:41:04 AM »
Great Post, Rich!  I especially enjoy viewing everyone’s work in progress.  I’ve been a member for many years, but only posted a finished rifle last month.  So, reluctant, I guess - didn’t think they were worthy.  I tend to work on 2 or 3 at a time and often switch projects when hitting a snag. 

Here’s one languishing since 2010, but I’m working on 2 others for now.

Warren Ogden

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2023, 03:53:09 AM »
I think I built my first rifle from a blank in 1970. I had no mentor and only a few pictures of longrifles from a magazine to go by. When I finished everyone in my small hamlet told me it looked fantastic but I knew that they had never seen one before so their praise was taken with a grain of salt. I learned a lot but even more when I went to my first shooting match and seen guns made by veteran makers. I sure wished this site would have been around back then. That being said it will help anyone building more to have help from a veteran while building than after the job is done. I would post more pics myself when I can get my camera and computer to cooperate with me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 03:58:11 AM by smylee grouch »

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2023, 03:58:21 AM »
I’ve only done 2 from blanks, and (really) struggle with butt plates.  So very reluctant.  Haven’t done one if a few years but I have 2 ash blanks and the parts for the builds, just waiting for me to attack.

When I look at what the members here are producing, I sometimes think I should just paint popsicle sticks as a hobby.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2023, 04:10:27 AM »
P.Bigham - nicely done. Great piece of walnut too. I like that rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

galudwig

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2023, 04:16:41 AM »
Reluctant. There is a core group here that freely passes judgment on works by non-core members and that routinely gives a pass to those within their group and to certain builders who they’ve placed on pedestals. The biggest problem I see though is that it is very hard to accurately judge someone’s work by looking at a few two-dimensional pictures. Everyone says you have “study the originals” to learn how everything should look. Then they turn around and critique a persons work based on a half dozen pictures. 

I’d rather work directly with builders that I admire and respect, those with attitudes geared towards mentoring and inspiring. I am fortunate to know and work with several of those. I know that they will tell me what I am doing wrong, what I could do better as well as tell me what I did well. Much of the critiquing I see on here is either tacit praise out of fear of staring a controversy or vitriol fueled by one’s own biases. Neither one is all that conducive to improvement.

Offline Scott L

• Starting Member
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2023, 04:18:50 AM »
I've been reading this forum for some years now and have never posted any of my builds. I'm not bad at building and, even if I was, there are kind people here who would find something positive to say about a pipe chainsawed into a 2 by 6. I'd like to post one of my builds someday (but not today). The reason I would do so is not to fish for compliments. I know my guns are fairly good and, as has been said, once it's done it's too late to make suggestions. For once I'd like to show my guns to people who know what they are looking at (or what their supposed to be looking at) and what it takes to build something like that. Friends and
family are great but generally don't have a clue. They are polite and say "that's pretty" but wouldn't know the difference between an American longrifle and a Vulcan cannon. Kinda deflating after a few hundred hours of work. Most people have as much interest in a carved flint Jaeger rifle as I have in their $1000 coffee maker. No bitterness, just a calm statement of fact. So, you asked for feedback on why people post their builds. Here's my long winded two cents.