Author Topic: Looking for A Child Size Fowler Pattern  (Read 2354 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Looking for A Child Size Fowler Pattern
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2023, 11:22:56 PM »
Woweee Dane!
Andover, Vermont

Offline AMartin

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2023, 03:17:38 AM »
So Al,

What were you doing in a liquor store in North Dakota?

Well Mr Dane .. if you must know , I was buying hooch ... Most likely a bottle or 2 of wine for dinner .. ( so there ) .
We were visiting my wife's sis and family ..

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2023, 03:10:44 PM »
That's an interesting rifle for a youth. Just an inquiry, but what caliber is it? (I assume 45cal). As for the barrel measurements, have you taken a "factory" barrel of a given diameter and filed\machined it down to provide somewhat lighter weight without compromising the integrity of it to shoot "XX" gr of powder?

I have several grandkids "up 'n coming" that would find some real joy in shooting (and mebby cleaning?) a kid size flinter.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2023, 08:58:13 PM »
Steel trap,
Actually, the barrel is a Rice Southern classic in .40cal, “A” weight. 1 ½” removed from the muzzle, and 3” removed from the breech to maintain the swamp. Barrel is 38” long and balances REALLY WELL.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2023, 02:19:32 PM »
SP....good info to know.  Thanks!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2023, 01:12:56 AM »
Dan,

The one recommendation I can offer is to not make the fowler too small.  I just recently finished a very small rifle for my 3 year old grandson. 
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=61759.0 

Excerpt:

To show scale ....one of my full size rifles and this little one......

This also gives a sense of how slender the wrist is........

He will not shoot it for quite some time to come and he will grow out of it fairly quickly.  Here is a picture of me shouldering the little rifle.  To get my head down to the sight plane I need to get my "snot locker" almost jammed into the trigger guard....and I will probably loose some eyebrow hair when the pan ignites.  The pull is only 10 5/8 inches.

On the other hand, a while back I finished a ~ 3/4 size rifle for another member on this board and, if I build another sub scale gun, I will build it this size instead.  As shown above, the tiny rifle I could shoot as an adult but will need to sacrifice my eyebrows and some additional hair line.  The 3/4 scale gun I worked on would be great for a young person but would still be quite easy for me to shoot as an adult.  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=37317.msg358295#msg358295

Excerpt:

A comparison between the little rifle and what I consider to be a full size rifle.  The larger one has a 42 inch barrel and the little one has a 30.5 inch barrel.  The pull on the little rifle is 13 inches and on the large one, 13.25 inches.  So the little rifle can easily be shot by an adult but is easy to handle and light enough for a young person or a petite lady.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 05:59:43 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2023, 07:03:15 AM »
I'm working on one of these probably this fall for my kids. I have a 21" .410 barrel, and I'll use the John Bailes lock with some small fowler furniture. I shrank Smart Dog's stock profile from his English Fowler build to suit the size. It'll happen eventually, but I have like 3 guns to build first

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2023, 10:05:02 PM »
Not a Fowler pattern......but.......https://cabincreek.net/revspecs/boys-and-ladies-rifle/

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2023, 02:05:40 PM »
This thread got me looking around. I've probably seen this one before, but the older I get....the more I forget!!

Here's an interesting "smaller person" flintlock kit by Jim Chambers. It's his Model RK-13.  https://www.flintlocks.com/rifles.htm#RK13

7-lb weight, 34" tapered barrel, 40, 45, or 50 caliber. I would think the 50 caliber would be the lightest, but may also provide the most felt recoil. OTOH, small charges can overcome that.

FWIW