Author Topic: Flash pan powder  (Read 3147 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Flash pan powder
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2023, 11:23:12 PM »
I always use 4F unless I'm out; and then 3F as a backup.  I've never had a problem with 4F in the pan and have hunted in weather from fog to downpours without issue.  Once the rifle is fired, however, the fouling can and does turn to soup under humid conditions.  Even then a wiped out pan can be safely primed with 4F and fired successfully. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2023, 11:46:15 PM »
Thats been my experience also Hanshi. I use Null B most of the time unless I forget my primer but if I seal up the pan on an unfired gun I have no problems with soup in the pan                                   

Apox 50/50 mix of bees wax and bear oil around the pan and lock bolster
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 11:56:57 PM by smylee grouch »

Offline petejc

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2023, 01:36:38 AM »
I have made flash pan powder out of 2f a few times and it works fine....One thing I do no matter the weather, I dump my pan about every hour then brush out and refill.  I know I waste a little powder but I'm willing to do that in exchange for a more sure ignition on that big buck that could come along.   Happy hunting
U.S. Navy 61 to 65, Pa. State Trooper 30 yrs, NRA Life member

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2023, 06:30:55 AM »
I always use 4F unless I'm out; and then 3F as a backup.  I've never had a problem with 4F in the pan and have hunted in weather from fog to downpours without issue.  Once the rifle is fired, however, the fouling can and does turn to soup under humid conditions.  Even then a wiped out pan can be safely primed with 4F and fired successfully.

Yes!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2023, 03:10:30 PM »
Using 4f for a trail walk or shooting at the range is fine. Hunting with 4f is fine too If you are hunting out of a stand. After all most folks aren't priming till they are snug in their stand.
However, if you are walking long distances with a prime in the pan, 4F will give you trouble. This is specially true if the humidity is high. 4f powder will creep into the touch hole as you are walking and will fuse the charge. Worse than a hang fire!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 01:10:20 PM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2023, 05:07:00 PM »
what Hanshi said ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2023, 06:28:07 AM »
It makes me smile boys.
I agree with Alacran here.
Thing is, we don't have each others weather, and we don't have each others guns, and what works for me here may not work for you there, and what works for you there may not work for me here.
That doesn't make you right or me right, or Alacran right, or wrong.

We do what we do because it works for us, and none of us are going to trade what works for us,  for what works for someone who doesn't live where we do.
We won't even trade what works with the bloke down the road a half mile.

So, don't expect a right and wrong in this. it isn't going to happen.

All the best to this fantastic group of Individuals!!

Rich.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2023, 10:31:00 PM »
I disagree - there is only the "best" way and that is whatever is the "right" way for you at that time & for that purpose.
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2023, 05:27:42 AM »
LOL!
I agree with you Daryl!
Now How can I agree with someone who disagrees with me, without disagreeing with myself?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2023, 06:33:31 PM »
IT happens. ;D
Daryl