Author Topic: Chambers Early Ketland fly issue  (Read 429 times)

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

Chambers Early Ketland fly issue
« on: March 10, 2023, 04:29:35 AM »
Last year, this lock sheared the half cock notch off the sear when I was shooting clay birds. The lock only has a couple hundred shots through it. The gun has a single, pinned trigger and i did not have the fly installed in the lock. The lock was purchased through Chambers, as an assembled lock. The nose of the sear also exhibited damage. I contacted Chambers and they shipped me a new tumbler and sear bar, ready to install. I also purchased a new fly, couldn't find the original I had removed several years ago when I built the fowler. I finally got around to installing the new pieces, and it seems to me like the fly is much too short. The nose of the sear contacts the tumbler below the half cock notch when "fired". Hopefully the pictures show the fly and half cock relation. The pics were taken after pulling the cock to half cock, not letting it down to half cock.
To rectify this, it seems I would need to lengthen the fly, or make a new, longer fly. Any other options?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Chambers Early Ketland fly issue
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 04:43:03 AM »
All those pix of the inside show it at half cock?
I’m not understanding the problem.
Does it not hold at half cock?
Does the sear fall into the half cock notch when firing it?

I’ve been super happy with the Early Ketland locks I’ve used. I’d not mess with it, but send it to Chambers.
Andover, Vermont

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 05:00:48 AM »
Sorry I wasn't clear, the sear doesn't fall into the half cock notch, rather it hits the lip under the half cock notch when falling. I posted multiple pics of the inside at half cock, not sure how the lighting was on each, trying to show the length of the fly relative to the half cock notch.
When pulling the cock from rest to half cock, the fly is not pushed up at all, there's no way the fly will block the sear from hitting the half cock notch/lip when firing.
I may well end up sending this in to Chambers to look at.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 06:04:24 AM »
Sounds like a plan to me. :)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V