General discussion > Antique Gun Collecting

Question on Southern Rifle

(1/1)

G-Man:
There is a gun that I have always admired and have never been able to find out much about.  I am hoping someone on here can shed some light. The rifle is shown in Jerry Noble's "Notes on Southern Longrifles Volume 4, page 86, as simply "A nice unmarked southern rifle".  (But the carving does not show in the photographs).  It is also shown on Page 203 of the Second Edition of Whisker's "Gunsmiths of Virginia" (it was not in the First Edition), described simply as an unsigned early iron mounted rifle, but again, no other description. 

It looks to be a very early (as far as surviving iron mounted rifles go), but very well made and graceful looking, iron mounted rifle with nice light incised carving, and what looks to be a pretty early Ketland style trade lock.  The guard is big, it has double set triggers, and the lock looks to be a 1770-80  style English trade lock.  No buttplate, but the butt is tall and only slightly curved.  No patchbox. 

Given all the interest in the timeframes and styles of iron mounted southern rifles, I have always been surprised this rifle has not been a topic of discussion more.  Overall, the rifle looks to be in really pristine condition too.  The lock looks really pristine -  but seems to really fit the rifle well and looks to be original to it in the photos.

If anyone knows more about this rifle and does not mind sharing some thoughts, you can send me a PM if you prefer.  It is much appreciated.

Thanks

Guy

Tanselman:
Guy, This rifle is strongly related to the early Lexington style rifles made in central Kentucky by transplanted North Carolina gunsmiths. Several of us who study Kentucky-made guns think this rifle was most likely made by William Bryan, Sr. He was killed at/near Bryans Station about 1780, so it would make it an early piece. I doubt he made guns during the short time he was in KY, so probably it was made not too long before his departure to KY. Mel Hankla at one time thought it might by by son Daniel, and it could be, but that puts it somewhat later, since Daniel left Bryans Station about 1780 and didn't return for 5 or 6 years (don't quote me on the years, this is from memory). I'd like to think it's the work of William Bryan, Sr., but it might be an early KY piece by Daniel Bryan. Unfortunately, we have so few signed guns by either of them that we are hard pressed to make any more definitive attributions.

The lock is a fine looking replacement, hand built by Louie Parker years ago. I don't know if the original mortise had been opened up by a secondary lock, or how close to the original mortise the new lock is, but if Louie did it, it's probably pretty close to what was needed. Normally on Bryan rifles, the makers used somewhat smaller locks, frequently Ketlands of almost pistol size on their rifles. But with this earlier gun, I don't know what the original looked like.  If any other work has been done on the gun, it's hard to tell. I have seen better pictures of it, and couldn't see any signs of repair. Regardless, it's an early rifle, and fascinating with its tall butt, Lexington style cheekpiece and Bryan style incised carving details under the cheek and in forestock molding. Triggers are also strongly in the Bryan/Lexington style. If I recall correctly, Louie said the guard is iron, despite looking like a cast brass guard.   Shelby Gallien

G-Man:
Wow - thanks Shelby.  What a great piece and what a great link to early Kentucky.  That makes me all the more interested in it.  

Whisker describes it as iron mounted also  Those triggers and architecture - the tall flaring butt - do look like something you would expect on one of those transplanted North Carolina gunsmiths - and have a similar feel to Jacob Young's later work.  The sideplates are interesting - they have the feel of the later mountain rifles, even at this early date.

In either case, if made by the elder or youger Bryan, and being iron mounted, that would place it in rare company - one of the earliest surviving American southern iron mounted rifles out there. The rifle seems to have a lot to say to us about how, when and where some of the styles we wonder about - iron mounted guns, the simple two part "washer" type sideplates, guns with no buttplates, etc. came into use, especially if it is by the hand of the elder Bryan.

Thank you so much for your post Tanselman!

Guy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version