Author Topic: Neck Sheath Knife  (Read 1092 times)

Offline TDM

Neck Sheath Knife
« on: March 17, 2023, 09:37:55 PM »
A week or so ago my Wife and I were out antiquing and I found 3 rather old, bone handled table knives, they were .50 cents each, so I bought them. They have a fairly thick spine, I started sharpening one and was able to put a shaving edge on it. It’s a rainy day, so I decided to make a neck sheath and use it as a patch knife. It may, or may not hold an edge well. I just used some leather I had on hand and some beads I’d accumulated. It’s not meant to be PC, just a handy blade for a solitary walk in the woods.

image hosting free no registration

Offline FDR

Re: Neck Sheath Knife
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 06:15:22 PM »
Great idea to make an old knife useful again. Nice sheath.

Fred

Offline TDM

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 07:09:11 PM »
Thank you Fred.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 10:14:33 PM »
Oh yeah - that's cool!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline jbigley

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 12:19:57 AM »
Cool. --JB

Offline TDM

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 01:42:12 AM »
Thank you Daryl and jbigley.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 07:23:11 AM »
Nice !

A Nessmuc looking blade

Offline Wil

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 04:22:45 PM »
Looking good. It feels good putting new life back into an old knife, doesn't it. I have many knives with many different steels from Japanese kitchen knives to pocket knives and hunting knives. I am sort of a collector,I guess. About the only steel I don't like as far as getting sharp and holding an edge is stainless. I have many exotic steels but the one that I enjoy the most and that can get really sharp,is the old tried and true 1095 Carbon steel blades.If it does get dull,a couple strokes on a strop or across a stone will bring back a sharp edge. Plus,they patina nicely.

Offline TDM

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 05:52:38 AM »
Nice !

A Nessmuc looking blade

Thanks!

Offline TDM

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 06:00:04 AM »
Looking good. It feels good putting new life back into an old knife, doesn't it. I have many knives with many different steels from Japanese kitchen knives to pocket knives and hunting knives. I am sort of a collector,I guess. About the only steel I don't like as far as getting sharp and holding an edge is stainless. I have many exotic steels but the one that I enjoy the most and that can get really sharp,is the old tried and true 1095 Carbon steel blades.If it does get dull,a couple strokes on a strop or across a stone will bring back a sharp edge. Plus,they patina nicely.

Yes it does, I was very happily to find these. Nobody wants the old silver plate utensils anymore, times change. These were nice and thick for table knives. I make blades myself, but not many. Some cut, some forged. I like 1095 too, just not as simple as 1080! Thanks for the comments.