General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Long term storage

(1/7) > >>

Wil:
I've been in this game for a while but my inquiring mind would like to know what your favorite bore dressing is that you use for long term bore protection is against that dreaded rust.

Majorjoel:
I use RIG grease.  Recommended by Ned Roberts in his book.  Never had any rust issues on guns left for years without use.

Wil:
Was RIG easy to remove before shooting ? It's pretty thick and I'd be worried if I didn't get it all out.

Scota4570:
For really long term I like LPS-3.  It goes on wet and dries like waxy cosmoline. 

Daryl:
After cleaning and drying my gun's barrel, I do a flush with WD40, then patch out the excess from the bore blasting it out the nipple seat or vent, then wipe everything down with that patch and reassemble the gun.  I liberally spray my locks all over with WD40 to blast off any residual moisture, then set them aside while doing the bore. After the bore and outside barrel is finished with
I shake the lock off and wipe it down all over, then put it back in the gun.
Any fouling on the gun's stock of course is wiped off. The lock is cleaned in water with a toothbrush, shaken of and laid in the sun while I clean, dry and oil the barrel.
The gun then sits, muzzle down in the lockup until needed again. For long term storage, RIGG is used.
It is easily patched out with doubled flannelette patch on a jag. I like to double the patch (jag turned to allow) as the extra thickness allows even deep grooves & sharp corners of the land/groove
to be properly & well cleaned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version