Author Topic: Long time project  (Read 6824 times)

Offline JH Ehlers

Re: Long time project
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2023, 08:37:24 PM »
Hello Taylor, I am about 10 minutes away from Dawson Creek. I have seen your work(pictures) and I like it.

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2023, 12:30:34 AM »
 very, VERY nice

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2023, 04:36:08 AM »
Pouce C. or Farmington?
Cool! I have a daughter in DC who teaches high school.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2023, 05:19:42 AM »
Pouce Coupe Daryl. Are you also in Prince George?

Online flatsguide

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2023, 05:31:12 AM »
Beautiful work. Interesting design on the inletted pads that captures the trigger guard. Is that your design?
Wish I knew you guys when I was traveling through on the way to and from Alaska. Used to stay in a travel trailer campsite just south of Prince George…super nice country
Cheers Richard

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2023, 05:48:37 AM »
Richard, it's not my design, many of these guns you will see no pins holding the rear extension. I haven't found many pictures of dismantled guns showing the construction. I have one of a pistol where the forward hook is held by such a slotted pad. Mine are based on it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2023, 08:27:40 PM »
Pouce Coupe Daryl. Are you also in Prince George?

Yes, indeed. You'll have to come down for our local rendezvous, usually July long weekend.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 01:30:04 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2023, 02:35:27 AM »
Bringing this dead horse back to life. Summer brings lots of other things to do, so progress is slow. Have to start on a sideplate, going to attempt something like this from Claude Simonin.

Offline X62503

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2023, 03:06:07 AM »
That is quite fine and clean inletting and carving.

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2023, 03:11:11 AM »
It appears this one is for the Record Books 😮

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2023, 07:21:05 PM »

Thought I would try something easier and less time consuming than the Simonin design. This sideplate is copied from a fowling piece by John Shaw.
I love the dolphin on the Simonin sideplate, going to have to do it in the future. Lots of slimming down engraving carving to do on this one. Hope you like it.

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2023, 07:36:39 PM »
Very nice.  I have always loved the way the tendrils look on that Shaw plate.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2023, 07:41:20 PM »
Beautiful work as always!  I know I'm a broken record, but I sure do love this period of gunmaking.  It's honestly about the only time frame that gets me going these days.  I know it's foreign to many and doesn't have the romance of work from this country, but I still don't understand why it's so underappreciated.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2023, 09:07:59 PM »
I hear you Jim.  My wife gave me a copy of "The Art of the Gunmaker" about 50 years ago, and in it are some colour plates of horse pistols with burly wood and wonderful architecture.  I've poured over those images for a long time, dreaming about re-creating something like that.  Mr. Ehlers work is super!  It is one thing to study original work, but quite another to be able to replicate it. I'm truly enjoying this thread.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2023, 02:10:28 AM »
Jim, I know what you mean. I am pretty confident in what I am doing even though most of the things I do is trial and error. I wish I had someone with the same interest who could look my work over and offer an opinion.
This time period just does it for me, I don't know why. Some people probably don't like it for the same reasons I don't like some other work.
Taylor, you are more capable than I am, I would love to see you building something from this period.

Here's a picture of a pair of pistols with only 2 visible screws, there is a fowling piece constructed in the same way by the same maker. I have been fascinated by this since the first time I saw it about 15 years ago. It might be my next project.

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2023, 06:03:02 AM »
  just amazing. great work and talent.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2023, 07:37:47 AM »
Johan,
I just sat down here with a similar gun in my head, and what do I see!?
You are doing a grand job on it. I liek you hav eset the trigger to the right where it should be on early arms.
The finial looks a top notch job!

I'd been thinking about a barrel I have, a Thomas Peele, C 1730, and wondering what lock to get.

Can someone tell me more about the Chambers offering?
This type of arm is of special interest to me!

Best,
Richard.

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2023, 09:03:59 PM »
Richard, it is the Chambers lock with a cock from Chris Hirch from Texas. The barrel has a breach of 1.25" , 46" long and 11 bore. I think the two fit well together and would'nt use a smaller barrel than that. The Chambers lock is fairly large and I suspect locks used on original work were mostly a bit smaller or shorter. The lock works well but can do with some extra work and I hate the flat stock bent sear springs.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2023, 06:50:10 AM »
Mr Ehlers,
Thank you for your reply.

I looked at Jim's site but do not see a lock like this. The cock from Chris Hirch looks perfect!

You are doing a beautiful  good job!
My barrel is a 14, and only 44 inches long, but I believe a but heavier in the breech.  Its an old barrel though. Made in sections like the Spanish barrels
Also have a Thomas Bannister barrel from the end f the 17th C It's 54" If I remember right!

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2023, 07:36:34 AM »
Mr Chambers doesn't have that lock on his website, you will have to call or e-mail them. There was an other supplier as well muzzleloader builders supplies I think. Don't know if they ship to Canada.
Sounds like you have some nice barrels there.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2023, 04:07:45 PM »
Thank you for the reply, Johan.
I am knee deep in various projects but will contact Jim.

There is another gun, a shortish one that is begging me to build. I will look it up. It is in Akehurst and GBG 1540 to 1740 I believe.
Also a Barbar or two that are stunningly beautiful work!

Your sideplate and how it is married to the panel is beautiful. It could not be better.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 04:11:20 PM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2023, 01:49:28 AM »
Spent some time on this thing today. Can anyone tell me if it's worth it making a counterbore for the screw holes. Or better to buy one, they seem to be more expensive than countersinks.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2023, 02:13:24 AM »
You sure are doing a beautiful job.  This sort of stuff speaks to me.  Thanks for posting

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2023, 02:33:21 AM »
Thank you Jim. You probably know how much work it is making one of these, and how much attention you have to pay to get the details and proportions right. Some of the high end french sideplates are finished absolutely perfect. How they did it is a mystery to me. It's trial and error to me. Files, gravers of different shapes, stones, polished punches and I guess I will throw in some burnishers as well. Any advise welcome.

Offline mtlonghunter

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2023, 04:54:14 AM »
As to your triggerguard attachment. I have a mid century English fowler and an early 1700's German fowler, both are attached as you have done. Excellent  work . THANK you.