Author Topic: Buttplate picture I would like to see  (Read 3205 times)

Offline foresterdj

Buttplate picture I would like to see
« on: March 19, 2023, 12:21:58 AM »
In spite of my self-known lack of inletting skill, I am planning to tackle a Jaeger (probably winter '23-'24) with the fancy buttplate. I have read about inletting this style buttplate and watched videos of other style buttplate inletting until my brain cannot absorb much more, and I am still not seeing the 3D of what is taking place. So many descriptions show a buttplate sitting on raw squared or partially shaped stock, then one picture kind of roughed in then maybe one a little more, then SHAZAM (no copyright infringement to the new movie intended) a beautiful completely inlaid buttplate with no gaps.

What I would love to see would be the stock under this perfectly fit buttplate. That is, once perfect, take the buttplate off and get some good clear pictures showing the wood fit along the edges. It is semi-clear in my mind that there must be a straight vertical, or maybe beveled back/under wood contact along the irregular acanthus leafy comb which then must at a point or in short transition switch to an across the butt flat through the curve and down the rear of the buttplate. I think seeing for sure what the end result wood is supposed to look like would help with this process.

I read often where folks say it is very hard to get the various geometries correct without having a good example in hand for reference, 2D pictures just not good at depicting a 3D item. Unfortunately for me (and I suppose many others dabbling in the gun building hobby), having an example in hand is just not possible.

Offline Ron Scott

Re: Buttplate picture I would like to see
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 01:08:21 AM »
There are a few Jaegers here to chose from. Do you have a photo of the butt plate you intend to use? I have sets of mounts leftover from my seminars.

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 01:29:25 AM »
The kit parts I have on order are from this Sitting Fox Kit, K-19 Jaeger

Kind of hard to see for sure, but I like the Carlsbad pattern from MBS

Offline PhDBrewer

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 03:41:55 AM »
Foresterj,
Hope this helps. I am currently building a Jaeger and here are the pics you aForesters,
William

Offline PhDBrewer

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 03:46:33 AM »
And removed

Hope this helps.

Ron Scott has good castings. This butt plate is from him.

William

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 04:05:08 AM »
Oh, excellent. I will study these.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 06:30:58 AM »
If I may make a suggestion about inletting fancy butplates, it would be a good investment to purchase both sets of miniature Dockyard Chisels. It will make inletting more pleasurable. My buttplate was done when Jim Chambers graciously let me use his set to inlet the buttplate on his English Gentlemen’s Sporting rifle. Since then I bought my own set.
CheersRichard

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 06:45:49 AM by flatsguide »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 07:40:21 AM »
That one is picky with little things to inlet, tight little corners impossible with much else.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Goo

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 03:24:56 PM »
You most likely already know about  what I am going to say next. IMHO it helps if the wood is not broomy. Knowing when the tools are sharp enough helps. Sometimes I make a pattern out of very thin sheet metal.  And go real slow paper thin cuts or less.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 05:14:29 PM »
That requires a level of skill that I really envy but have never tried beyond a simple lock plate.Those are easy but now with an arthritic right shoulder are now off the table.When warm weather arrives I might make some more triggers and will post here if I do.Locks are not on the "To do" list but there is an abundance of them in all common styles from more than one maker.
On 27 March Barbie Chambers and I have birthdays.I am 40 years ahead of her and she had a battle with cancer so send her all the best wishes and I am glad she is still here.We are looking forward to the CLA Show in Lexington and Friendship is not a priority this year.
Bob Roller

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 05:14:44 PM »
If I may make a suggestion about inletting fancy butplates, it would be a good investment to purchase both sets of miniature Dockyard Chisels. It will make inletting more pleasurable. My buttplate was done when Jim Chambers graciously let me use his set to inlet the buttplate on his English Gentlemen’s Sporting rifle. Since then I bought my own set.
CheersRichard
[/url]

Your work is really nice!  I looked for the Miniature Dockyard Chisels you referred to, but found there are a plethora of sets. Like...over a dozen.

Can you be more specific as to what set(s) you are referring to?  https://gregdorrance.com/product-category/carving-tools-supplies/wood-carving-hand-tools/carving-gouges/dockyard-micro-tools/

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 06:20:30 AM »
Steeltrap, these are the Dockyard tools I use.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 04:26:59 PM »
Great information!  Thanks!

Offline Jakob

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 09:23:11 PM »

Work in (very slow) progress. I get may 0.5mm per session, but I *really* don't want to screw this one up.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 05:44:35 AM »
Looking good, steady as she goes and keep sinking it in. I use smoke for blackening my parts for my transfer medium.
Cheers Richard

Offline Jakob

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 05:54:27 AM »
Yeah, I started doing that on the buttplate and it's much easier to use than inletting black (and a lot less messy).

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 06:16:00 AM »
So, on Jakob's post with the picture, I get no picture. I see all the other pictures in this thread though, this one just a big square where a picture should be. So as usual I am confused. Perhaps someone can let me know how to see that picture ('cause there are lots of threads I look at that are this way, I always figured the pictures had been deleted or something.).

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 11:36:37 AM »
So, on Jakob's post with the picture, I get no picture. I see all the other pictures in this thread though, this one just a big square where a picture should be. So as usual I am confused. Perhaps someone can let me know how to see that picture ('cause there are lots of threads I look at that are this way, I always figured the pictures had been deleted or something.).

The photos show up for me. You might try clearing your browser cache, that may fix your problem. Here are instructions for most web browsers https://www.fvsu.edu/how-to-clear-your-browser-cache/
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2023, 04:46:17 PM »
Cleared cache, no difference.
Jakob's posts look like this.

while I see the others, for example,

Offline sz

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 05:02:34 PM »
000_0191 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
97 Jaeger comb by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
aag-443_3 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
IMG_0501 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
A few I have done. I hope they help

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 06:06:01 PM »
And I can see the ones SZ just posted (super pretty by the way)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 06:18:54 PM »
From above

Andover, Vermont

Offline PhDBrewer

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2023, 08:07:37 AM »
Foresters, this is Jakob's image.

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2023, 04:38:24 PM »
Thanks. And oddly, when I scroll up to the original post that was a blank square this picture is now there also. Another mystery of the computer world.  :o

Offline Jakob

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2023, 06:30:28 PM »
I should expand a little.
As I also couldn't find any guides that matched how to do this style of buttplate, where, due to the curved buttplate, you can't go straight down and you can't start from the back either, I asked Ron Scott for advice.
 His methods involve started from the tip of the finial, having the buttplate tilted so as you work your way down, it 'swings' into place.
This seems (sofar) to be a relative safe method, but being inexperienced like I am, I'm very reluctant to do any bulk removal of material, making progress very slow.
 I have, deliberately, not inlet the tip all way, leaving  ~1mm or so to do the final fitting once I'm close.
I'm now also rough shaping the buttstock as it goes deeper, making it easier for me to ensure that I'm not expanding the gap as I push deeper..
There's virtually zero consistent angles or reference point on this buttplate, and curvature and draft angles are constantly changing.
It's a little easier now that I've got contact on all areas, but it's definitely been a steep learning curve.
I'll try to make some drawings to better illustrate the process when I get home.