Author Topic: Entry thimble making tool  (Read 1304 times)

Online P.Bigham

Entry thimble making tool
« on: March 15, 2023, 11:30:57 PM »
Anyone remember someone that was making a forming tool for entry thimbles?   Maybe at the CLA a few years ago thanks.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline sdilts

Re: Entry thimble making tool
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 11:53:20 PM »

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 03:19:55 AM »
The instructions for making that tool are in Buchelle's book "Recreating the American Longrifle".  I believe the instructions in Alexander's book are flawed.  If the two diameters are concentric, either the radius of the tail will be too small or the offset will be too great.

Online P.Bigham

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 03:59:42 AM »
I have Bucheles book must be a older copy. As it doesn't cover this tool. It describes a 2 piece entry thimble. Thanks
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 04:42:25 AM »
 I have David's set for entry pipes. I believe he has it in 3/8 and 5/16. It works very well. Give him a call.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 09:32:28 AM »
I have a similar forming tool plus I have a couple pound block of lead in which I form a female hollow.  Helps me a lot to use both. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 03:26:49 PM »
I have David's set for entry pipes. I believe he has it in 3/8 and 5/16. It works very well. Give him a call.

He will also make you what you want with the offset you need.

Tim

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 03:47:44 PM »
Page 100 in the fourth edition of Recreating.  I made a small improvement (in my opinion) when I made mine.  For each of the 5/16" and 3/8" sizes I drilled a longitudinal clearance hole in a piece of round stock such that it would slip over the smaller diameter part of the tool.  I would have to check, but believe I used 7/16" stock for the 3/8" tool and 3/8" stock for the 5/16" tool.  The piece acts as a driver when forcing the tang back over the larger diameter.

Offline RAT

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 06:52:06 AM »
Does anyone make a female swage for entry pipes? I've made several mandrels. What I'm really in need of is a swage block into which I can hammer steel to make the tail of entry pipes. As it stands now, it takes me forever to make an iron entry pipe... and I end up averaging 3 before I get 1 that is half way decent. I form the pipe portion, slip it onto a mandrel, but have a lot of problems with distortion when trying to form the tail. I heat the steel while forming, but something that thin doesn't hold the heat well enough. By the time I get everything straightened out, some of them end up cracking.
Bob

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 06:37:28 PM »
All my BC LR  builds have an elongated finial on the entry pipe but sold the forms years ago. Started making them one piece but found 2 pieces easier to make.  Shpwn below is a set of BC  RR pipes....Fred

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 06:43:30 PM by flehto »

Offline Crow Creek

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 05:54:13 AM »
I made mine from 5/16 and 3/8 all thread nuts a few years ago.  Works great with annealed brass or GS.

Tom

Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever . . .

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 07:33:03 AM »
These were made in George Suiter's tool-making class a few years back at the NMLRA seminar at Bowling Green KY.

This thimble was made using the tools, will try to look for more pics of others....

Curtis

Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing