General discussion > Antique Gun Collecting

Roop ? on gunbroker

(1/1)

J.D.:
What appears to be a J Roop rifle, with an unique, to me, tang sight is listed on Gunbroker.com. Based on recent discussions on Roop, I am interested in what the knowledgeable membership thinks about this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=145877135

God bless

smshea:
Whats your take Wayne?

woodsrunner:
I'm not yet qualified to say anything about the rifle since I am presently in an Entered Apprentice status in the study of these pieces, but I will make this one comment for whatever it's worth.

IMO the Masonic emblem is not period correct with the piece, and must have been added some years after the rifle was built. There is definately a "G" within the Square and Compass. The "G", which denotes Geometry as I pointed out in another Post recently, was adopted and included by the English Grand Lodge in 1832 and adopted by the American Grand Lodge a year or two later. Even with being adopted here in the States in 1833 or 34, it did not gain acceptance by the various State Grand Lodges and become commonly used until many, many years later. The late 1800's in some areas.

jwh1947:
Since asked, I'll speak.  The above comment on the Masonic symbol is on mark.  Moreover, the inlay was inletted very crudely.  I've seen better work done by an Afghan armorer sitting on a dirt floor.  I think the tang with flange for peep sight is a much later replacement to the original.  The patchbox reminds me of the influence of Young or Hawk, but not from those specific shops. 

It could be a composite specimen built around a Roop barrel.  This is only a personal take on the gun and not intended to "dis" it, but it is not consistent with the dozen or so Roops I've seen in my lifetime. This is one that I'd have to take apart to help rule in or rule out.  I would especially like to examine the underside of the barrel and the forestock, checking for moved tennons and/or extra holes in the stock.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version