Author Topic: Clay Smith Trade Gun Build  (Read 6394 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Clay Smith Trade Gun Build
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2023, 04:26:11 AM »
You got that lock looking real good
Psalms 144

Offline TDM

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2023, 04:50:09 AM »
You got that lock looking real good

Thank you! It took a while.

Offline TDM

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2023, 02:15:55 AM »
Finished inletting the assembled lock and function checked. Still have a little cleanup to do.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2023, 02:47:33 PM »
You’re making good time! I don’t want to presume anything about your experience but it’s easy to think that a precarve stock is close to shaped as it comes. True with CNC kits but not most kits. See Dave Person’s advice on lock panels above.
Andover, Vermont

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2023, 07:45:18 PM »
  I must confess I bought two of these locks. One from Rich and the other from a different source.
  The one I got from Rich is smooth as silk and a great sparker...the other one ....let's say not so much...

Offline TDM

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2023, 01:30:16 AM »
Rich, I’m just a novice. This is my 4th build, just learning as I’m going.

Offline TDM

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2023, 01:38:22 AM »
Oldtravler61 I agree. I’ve only gone through 7 or 8 locks so I know my knowledge is limited, with that being said, I was shocked at the roughness of this lock and the time it took to fix. I used to throw rocks at L & R’s, not anymore. At least the lock seems good now. I’ve been spoiled with the Kibler locks, though I still go through them and polish things up.

Offline duca

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2023, 05:27:52 AM »
Looks good!!
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline TDM

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2023, 08:18:24 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2023, 03:50:37 PM »
I have aways used those locks on my Carolina guns
 Ultra dependable correct for the period and easily as fast as a kibler. (Just had to give kibler a little poke with a stick) ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline TDM

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2023, 10:59:03 PM »
I think I'll be happy with it now Mike. And I agree, it is a fast lock now that I've gone through it, especially fast for a long throw.

Offline TDM

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2023, 11:29:15 PM »
I wanted to add that I spoke with Liza at the Log Cabin Shop today about the issues with the lock. She was very apologetic and concerned with the problems. She sending me a spare mainspring and frizzen spring and told me she will address these problems with her lock shop. So great customer service as you would expect from Log Cabin. I should have called her last week, glad I finally did. I'm happy now.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2023, 12:11:40 AM »
I wanted to add that I spoke with Liza at the Log Cabin Shop today about the issues with the lock. She was very apologetic and concerned with the problems. She sending me a spare mainspring and frizzen spring and told me she will address these problems with her lock shop. So great customer service as you would expect from Log Cabin. I should have called her last week, glad I finally did. I'm happy now.

Liza is first class. She’s continuing with a proud tradition.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2023, 12:42:14 AM »
  TDM when I talked to her. She gave me the same information. So I ordered another lock from her.
  Hopefully this fall I can get to their fall show or whatever they call it...

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2023, 02:14:29 AM »
I have aways used those locks on my Carolina guns
 Ultra dependable correct for the period and easily as fast as a kibler. (Just had to give kibler a little poke with a stick) ;D

Don’t worry, I already know enough to not pay any attention to you, Brooks.😉

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2023, 03:04:27 AM »
The lock looks a helluva lot better now. If it was me I prolly would have just sent it back. You’re obviously a patient man.

Offline TDM

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2023, 04:08:39 AM »
Thanks Bob, but I mainly worked with what I had because these locks are back ordered. Still waiting for the spare mainspring and frizzen spring I was promised. Been busy with family time for Easter and spring chores but I’ll be immersing myself back in the build in another day or so.

Offline TDM

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2023, 12:22:50 AM »
Finally getting caught up on spring chores and it’s a rainy day, so a good time to get back to work on the build. I wasn’t happy with the fit of the breech inlet, so I worked on eliminating any gaps and getting good breech contact. Added a little wood, then removed most of it. Then I slotted the barrel tenons. I marked the outline of the mainspring at full cock then disassembled the lock. Using calipers I measured and marked my lock bolt holes to clear the mainspring, barrel, and ram rod. Plan to drill and tap tomorrow.

Offline TDM

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2023, 03:34:58 AM »
Drilled and tapped the lock plate today and inletted the side plate.

easy photo sharing websites

Offline TDM

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2023, 02:08:26 AM »
Was able to get quite a bit done the last 2 days. Cut to length and dressed the lock bolts. Filed, shaped, and polished the trigger. Installed/pinned the trigger. Wanted the pin hole as high and forward as possible, almost over did it, but it works well with a light pull and just enough creep to clear the sear at full cock. Polished the side plate and did some more polishing on the lock plate, then reassembled the lock. Today I setup up my point to point drilling jig, measured, marked, and drilled the angled tang bolt hole. Tapped the tang and assembled. Had already centered and marked the trigger guard holes. Drilled a couple of short pilot holes and installed the wood screws with beeswax. Still need to do some bending on the front tab of the trigger guard. But it all fits and functions as it should. Almost alive now.

Offline TDM

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2023, 04:14:35 AM »
The last couple of days I inletted and pinned the ram rod pipes and sanded, tapered, and fitted the ram rod. I’ve started inletting the butt plate but not finished yet.

Offline TDM

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2023, 03:52:21 AM »
Got the butt plate nailed on today. Had to peen the square nails, finished removing wood, measured, marked, and drilled the pilot holes. Used a rubber mallet to shape the brass. Then removed all the extra. The early trade guns, 1740’s, had the rounded top of the butt plate. Unlike later guns that used a plain 90 degree bend.

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2023, 02:43:51 PM »
Nice work. I love the nailed - on trade gun look.
David Shotwell

Offline TDM

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2023, 06:07:44 PM »
Thank you David.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2023, 08:49:42 PM »
Oldtravler61 I agree. I’ve only gone through 7 or 8 locks so I know my knowledge is limited, with that being said, I was shocked at the roughness of this lock and the time it took to fix. I used to throw rocks at L & R’s, not anymore. At least the lock seems good now. I’ve been spoiled with the Kibler locks, though I still go through them and polish things up.
Accurate alignment PLUS close tolerances are mandatory as well as a bright finish in the art of lock making or in this case,assembly;
Whoever does the initial  assembly needs more supervision and sending out such a mechanism that must be remade or otherwise
repaired needs to find out what "QUALITY CONTROL"means.
Bob Roller