Author Topic: Clay Smith Trade Gun Build  (Read 6420 times)

Offline TDM

Re: Clay Smith Trade Gun Build
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2023, 03:25:29 AM »
I agree Bob.

Offline TDM

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2023, 04:25:43 AM »
Started removing wood today. Have the initial shaping done, still a lot of wood to remove.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2023, 12:06:25 AM »
Got the butt plate nailed on today. Had to peen the square nails, finished removing wood, measured, marked, and drilled the pilot holes. Used a rubber mallet to shape the brass. Then removed all the extra. The early trade guns, 1740’s, had the rounded top of the butt plate. Unlike later guns that used a plain 90 degree bend.
While this can be claimed somewhat, its not a hard, fast rule. Different makers did different things with their stocks and butt plates over the years.
Psalms 144

Offline TDM

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2023, 12:57:33 AM »
I’ve been rasping and sanding, then rasping and sanding some more. I assembled the gun today for these outside photos in good light a better judge the balance. And, of course, more wood has to be removed pretty much everywhere. But especially along the ram rod channel. The pipes and ram rod need more exposure. I’ll start at it again tomorrow.

Offline TDM

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2023, 01:03:03 AM »
Got the butt plate nailed on today. Had to peen the square nails, finished removing wood, measured, marked, and drilled the pilot holes. Used a rubber mallet to shape the brass. Then removed all the extra. The early trade guns, 1740’s, had the rounded top of the butt plate. Unlike later guns that used a plain 90 degree bend.
While this can be claimed somewhat, its not a hard, fast rule. Different makers did different things with their stocks and butt plates over the years.

That’s interesting, I’ve never seen a rounded butt cap on a trade gun after the 1750’s or so. Would love to know your references on this. I’m always trying to learn more about these guns.

Offline TDM

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2023, 05:16:27 AM »
Working on getting the mortises shaped and narrowing the wrist.

Offline TDM

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2023, 08:37:15 PM »
Finished the overall wood removal, fore stock now has the pipes and ram rod at 50% which is what I was shooting for. The wrist and mortises are blended. Started inletting the barrel band, trimmed the band, and got it fitted.

Offline TDM

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2023, 08:53:46 PM »
Started draw filing the barrel and remarked the breech. Fitted the lock with the frizzen removed so I could scribe the top and center of the pan. I had an extra Kibler vent liner which I decided to use instead of a smaller one that came in the kit. Got a starter hole drilled, then used an “L” size bit for the 5/16” tap. After tapping I chamfered the top to match the liner. Installed the liner and using my borescope I checked to see how much of the liner protruded into the bore. Wasn’t much, I filed and polished until flush. Put a little RIG on the threads, tightened the liner down and hacksawed the end flush. Then filed until smooth.

Offline TDM

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2023, 08:58:43 PM »
Finished draw filing and sanding the barrel. And polished the trigger guard and pipes.

quality photos online

Offline TDM

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2023, 09:08:34 PM »
Did 3 whiskerings of the stock finishing with 320 grit each raise. I applied one coat of iron nitrate, let it dry, the heat cured. Then went over the stock with a cotton rag of baking soda solution which brought out a slight red tint to the wood.

Offline TDM

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2023, 09:12:54 PM »
My side plate and thumb plate arrived in the mail from Mike Brooks, who generously did the engraving.

Offline TDM

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2023, 09:21:31 PM »
I wanted some level of red in the stock. Tried several mixes of cherry and maple stain diluted with denatured alcohol on scrap maple. Ended up with a 40% cherry, 10% maple, 50% alcohol mix. Also applied bone black with the stain mix along the wrist weld. After drying, I applied the first of 4 coats of Permalyn sealer.

Offline TDM

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2023, 09:31:31 PM »
In between the drying of the sealer coats I cleaned and degreased the barrel, trigger, and bolt heads. I used a 50% distilled water & 50% Jax Black mix. Applied two coats to the barrel with drawbacks after each coat using 0000 steel wool and light rubbing. Also cut the pipe and barrel pins to length, smoothed the ends, and put them in the solution to darken.

Offline TDM

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2023, 09:37:37 PM »
After lightly going over the stock with fine synthetic steel wool and a wipe down, I applied the first of 3 coats of Permalyn Finish with a very light scuffing and wipe down after drying between coats.

Offline TDM

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2023, 09:58:03 PM »
After an extra day to cure the finish, I used MinWax in the barrel channel, a light coat of RIG on the barrel bottom, and a little beeswax on the pins and wood screw. Then assembled. Tim Crosby suggested I combine the build and finish. So here are the assembled photos again.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 10:02:11 PM by TDM »

Offline TDM

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2023, 10:24:51 PM »
Being retired, I spend most of my time at my camp and property in Mississippi. My shop and tools are there and I’m fortunate to have my own shooting range and woods walk course. The afternoon after assembly I cast about 65 .600 RBs. Unfortunately I had waited to the last minute to order patches, cards, and wads for the new gun from TOW. So the package was sitting back home in Louisiana which didn’t help the situation.

Offline TDM

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2023, 10:40:52 PM »
Next day, with no store bought patches, I cut about 20 square patches from some bulk .020 cotton I had. Then lubed them with my homemade crisco/beeswax/canola oil lube. Unfortunately it turned out to be an unusually hot and humid morning so I only shot 12 balls. I used the .600 RBs and 2F Goex for all shots. All priming was with 4F Goex. I used 70 grains for the first 4 shots at 25 yards. I was pleased with the lock performance, it was fast, but it should have been after all the hours I spent tuning and polishing it. Still hang one slight hang fire that was enough to pull the 3rd shot to the right. 2nd & 4th we’re touching. All 12 shots were low, but I’m not concerned as I need to get used to gun and sight picture, maybe a little front sight filing too.

Offline TDM

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2023, 10:43:45 PM »
The next 5 shots were also at 25 yards but with an 80 grain charge.

Offline TDM

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2023, 10:54:43 PM »
The last 3 shots were at 50 yards, still an 80 grain charge. Had a second hang fire on the next to last shot and I pulled it right. Got tired of wiping sweat out of my old eyes and called it a day. But overall I’m pleased, once I get used to the gun and work up the best load I think it will make a good shooter. I have my wads and cards now, plus somewhere hidden away I’m pretty sure I have a bag of 20 ga plastic shot cups. So I’ll see how it patterns next time too.

Offline Algae

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2023, 01:18:51 AM »
You're off to great start! Keeo us posted!

Al Jenkins

Offline TDM

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2023, 03:06:44 AM »
You're off to great start! Keeo us posted!

Al Jenkins

Thank you Al.

Offline Preacher Dave

• Starting Member
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2023, 10:12:02 AM »
Thank you for providing the detailed documentation on your build. It turned out very nice and you should be happy with it.

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2023, 01:19:23 PM »
Great build TDM. Your attention to detail is surely evident in every step of the build. And this being your 4th build? Impressive!

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline TDM

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2023, 09:58:30 PM »
Thank you Preacher Dave and Hank.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2023, 12:19:27 AM »
Nice!
Your range and property are enviable.  8)