Author Topic: Anybody use a Foredom tool  (Read 2514 times)

Offline sdilts

Anybody use a Foredom tool
« on: March 28, 2023, 03:18:29 AM »
Been tinkering with the idea of getting a Foredom tool. I was wondering if anyone on here has used one and what you think about it. Is it worth the cost?

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
Re: Anybody use a Foredom tool
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 04:02:25 AM »
I have the Harbor Freight knock off and it’s functional enough. I like it better than a Dremel. I used mine with 1/8” burrs to clean up pipe slots and barrel lug penetrations. The foot control helps with control. That’s about as far as I’m willing to go with a power tool that can jump or skip in a millisecond.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 06:15:52 AM »
   Foredom is the way to go. The hand piece only weighs a few ounces. You have control over the speed. Motor is much more powerful than a Dremel. I use mine all the time. Dremel should never be in the same room as a gun.

Offline Nazgul

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 12:35:08 PM »
I have had a Foredom for 20+ years. It works very well and saves a lot of time in certain areas.

Don

Offline Goo

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 01:11:31 PM »
If you get the knock off the difference is the hand piece and the foot pedal.  the knock off #30 handpiece usually is difficult to turn with the chuck key.  The original metal solid state foot pedals are extremely precise and very controllable, the cheap plastic ones are not and you can damage your precise work.     The good stuff costs more but I have my original foredom setup purchased in 1986 for $400 and it is still performing for me.   The hammer hand piece can be used as a power graver by reshaping the tips on old bead setting tools and broken burrs.  They fit into the threaded hole with one layer of masking tape around the burr shaft.     
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 03:42:03 PM »
I broke down and purchased a Foredom last year, so I don’t have a lot of use under my belt yet, but the biggest difference between it and a Dremel is the ability to start your work at zero RPM and slowly increase it as needed. I mean slowly, as in you could count the RPMs.
You’re not going at something already spinning at 8000 RPMs like a Dremel. And they are very powerful. Plus there’s lots more uses than just gunbuilding. About the only advantage my Dremel has is portability.

Bob

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 04:52:21 PM »
I have been looking into this as well, based on Bill's videos.

Do you know if I need a 1/3 or 1/6 HP motor?

They seem to have several models out of stock.  Does it matter if I get the one that is mounted on the bench vs. one that hangs?

I was thinking about this one:

https://www.foredom.net/product/bench-motor-with-built-in-dial-control-m-srm/

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 05:32:53 PM »
I did some searching on-line and found that the carvers suggested the Harbor Freight Flexible shaft and the Foredom 44T head.

$50+$70

https://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html

My brother has an older 1/3hp, made in USA, not China like the new ones. [Great Tool!]

The new ones are way over priced!

I bought the combo above and it works fine. Only draw back is that it doesn't rev as high as the Foredom.
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 06:17:33 PM »
I have been looking into this as well, based on Bill's videos.

Do you know if I need a 1/3 or 1/6 HP motor?

They seem to have several models out of stock.  Does it matter if I get the one that is mounted on the bench vs. one that hangs?

I was thinking about this one:

https://www.foredom.net/product/bench-motor-with-built-in-dial-control-m-srm/

I like the hanging one better, but it doesn't make any difference really. Just personal preference.

Go with 1/3 HP if you will be using large bits for aggressive cutting. Most likely 1/6 HP is fine.

Definitely go with foot control instead of dial control.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 06:31:08 PM »
I have a friend who was a hobby duck carver and ALL the people he hangs with have the Foredom tool - they all feel it's the BEST for what they do. Foe me I put it in the same category as a Dremel for my gun work. ::) :o :-\
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Jakob

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 06:43:37 PM »
I've used a dremel with a flex shaft and footpedal for years. By all account it should have seized up years ago, but if it ever needs replacing it will be with a Foredom.

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 07:15:05 PM »
Yes, get a hanger with a foot control.

I just found this about Knock Offs!

https://www.foredom.net/knock-offs/

A good buy isn't always a GOOD BUY!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:30:35 PM by Bsharp »
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 09:09:23 PM »
I have a couple of them and much prefer them to a Dremel for some of the reasons noted above. I also have had a couple of the cheaper Harbor Freight models, and they don't seem to last long with the usage I have put them through. The genuine Foredom is a much better system, in my opinion. The one I currently use the most came with an MMC power checkering head I purchased awhile back and it is a 1.7 amp S model which is probably a 1970's vintage. I also have a similar one that I used to use with a Magnagraver attachment until I broke down and bought a Lindsay. Great tools in my opinion.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 04:26:34 PM »
I've used Foredoms since about '69 or so.  Handy tool, for sure.  Get one if you can.  I don't use mine much on wood, however.  Almost any metal except lead, it's grrreat!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 05:04:14 PM »
I have a bench mounted foot control Fordom, it is heavy and cumbersome, I used it a good bit when I had a decoy carving cottage industry that I abandoned in 86. I was a power carver and used a variable speed Dremel a good bit as well.

When my Dremel gave up the ghost after 25+ years I bought new one of Chinese origin that lasted 6 months.

I bought a $9 Harbor Freight variable speed rotary tool that is still going strong after 3 years.

I realize a Dremel can ruin your work in seconds but like any tool there is a learning curve to using one, it is mostly about using the right bit for a job.

I prefer a Dremel to my Fordom for delicate gun work, I have around 40 years of practice in using one, on the ducks this included very fine detail work.

My Fordom resides on a dusty shelf under my workbench, I don't use it anymore but considering what one like it would cost ($500+), I think I will keep it.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 05:13:52 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 07:24:03 PM »
I have used a Wecheer hand grinder for years that I got from Woodcraft when it was on sale. It looks identical to the Foredom ones I have worked with in the past in other shops. It came with the hanger and foot control and I wouldn't be without them. They have a large variety of handpieces available if you feel the need to have a lighter or heavier one. (I never have) I don't use it much for actual gun building but it is useful for lots of shop tasks. For guns I might use the stone grinding wheels to modify lock parts and so on but I would never want to try carving or anything like that with one. i have used Dremel tools for over 50 years and they are good tools, especially when I was building wooden ship models. They are probably a bit light duty for gun work although I never had one go bad.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline sdilts

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2023, 02:28:20 AM »
Well, I bit the bullet and got me a Foredom tool a couple weeks ago. Should of bought one years ago. Being able to control the speed with the foot pedal makes this tool much easier to control. Much better than my Dremel.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2023, 02:49:48 AM »
my dremel died so I bought their new recharable one ,variable speed , no cord to fight with and lots of power

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2023, 03:49:08 PM »
Well, I bit the bullet and got me a Foredom tool a couple weeks ago. Should of bought one years ago. Being able to control the speed with the foot pedal makes this tool much easier to control. Much better than my Dremel.

You should have a tool that, with reasonable care, will last the rest of your life, enjoy!

Offline flehto

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2023, 06:29:07 PM »
I don't have much use for an electric  rotary tool, but when I have to use one, it's my Dremel which I've had for many, many  years.....Fred

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2023, 10:12:45 PM »
We use Foredom's for production deburring etc.  When I was building custom longrifles full-time, I found little use for one.  The problem with rotary tools is that people tend to rely on them way too much and it can show.  They have their place, but the results aren't usually the same as using a file, stone, sandpaper etc.

Jim

Offline TDM

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2023, 05:48:02 AM »
I have one with the foot pedal. I use mine for larger wood carvings. Never used it on a stock.