Author Topic: Ramrod Length  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Bellke

• Starting Member
Ramrod Length
« on: March 30, 2023, 09:33:40 PM »
Question about ramrod length.  I'm worried about cutting my ramrod too short.  When I insert it in the barrel and mark the length, then put in in the ramrod holder, there's about a 2 " difference.  This is my 1st flintlock and I don't want to go to load it and have my ramrod drop down into the barrel and have to turn it upside down to get it out.  Also, don't want it sticking out 2-3 " in front of the barrel.  What's a good way to know the right length?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Ramrod Length
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 09:39:13 PM »
The length of the bore is the right length.  When you add a cleaning jag, there will be enough to grab on to.
If it’s short of going in all the way, you may have to taper the rod, or notch the front lock bolt.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 12:40:41 AM »
Ditto.
The hole in the stock for the rod should be the same length as the usable bore, or deeper yet. I prefer deeper so the rod is actually longer than the bore. This just gives more to hold onto if
using the rifle's rod for cleaning. Usually I have use of my 'range' rods or 'cleaning' rods of steel which have handles and are much longer than the bore is deep.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 01:48:05 AM »

or deeper yet. I prefer deeper so the rod is actually longer than the bore. This just gives more to hold onto

This

Offline JLayne

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 01:53:49 AM »
Whatever you do, don’t cut it shorter than bore length. If I understand your post correctly it sounds like there may be something obstructing the ramrod hole in the forestock, or either the hole needs to be deeper.

Jay

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 02:14:22 AM »
 remove the front lock bolt and try again. if it fits then you need to notch the bolt. if not try a thinner rod [ thin metal if you have some or even stiff wire should work]. if that goes in all the way  than taper you ram rod ,if not hole may not deep enough or 
 there may also be a tenon too deep into the stock.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 08:09:21 PM »
I suspect that the rod is being stopped by the forward lock nail.  If you are unable to taper the rod enough to clear the bolt, or notch it deeply enough for the rod to pass, you may have to use a dummy screw in the front, eliminating the front lock screw altogether.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 06:27:20 PM »
A combination of notching the bolt and tapering the ramrod should cure it. If the bolt doesn't interfere too much, chuck it into a drill, and use a round file to cut a relief completely around the bolt, rather than just flattening one area. Makes it easier to put the lock back on after cleaning. A lock bolt shouldn't have much torque on it, and you can take them pretty thin with no problem.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 11:55:24 PM »
This is a frequent problem and I have had a few my self and helped others with it. I like to turn the front bolt in and index the head so I know where it is bottomed out. Then file just the bottom enuf to let the rod pass when the bolt is in the indexed bottomed out position. This more so if using a small dia. bolt such as a 6x32. Others mileage may vary.  ;)