Author Topic: Part of my barrel disassembly kit is missing  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Naphtali

• Starting Member
Part of my barrel disassembly kit is missing
« on: April 02, 2023, 01:08:49 AM »
I have a half-stock cap lock rifle with break-off barrel secured to stock with a single wedge-and-key. To dismount barrel from stock I use soft jawed Quick Grip® to relieve pressure on wedge-and-key. Then I tap the wedge free (it is retained within its key assembly) and remove barrel.

I have a serious problem that should be a simple one. The specially shaped hard plastic "pusher" on which I tap for disengaging wedge has disappeared. I am unable to make such a simple device on my own.

I need some help.

Offline Not English

Re: Part of my barrel disassembly kit is missing
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 05:52:17 AM »
Anything softer than the key will work. If there's an escutcheon(?) surrounding the key, I used a small hammer. If there's still concern look for a small brass hammer and use that

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 07:19:06 PM »
I have a brass tool for removing wedges. I got it a t TOTW years ago. If you have any hardwood ram rod pieces it wouldn’t be hard to whittle a taper a one end for the same purpose…..LK
Ed Hamberg

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 08:29:38 PM »
I use a wide screwdriver to push it out and if needed a small hammer.
Been doing it this way since 1972 - no damage to the wedge.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 09:08:32 PM »
I have a short piece of flat pure brass that I cut off of pouring spre of one of my Gillespie guards. It's as it was when sawn off the guard. Have been using this for around 20 years and it still works fine.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 10:18:42 PM »
Here is one that should work available at most muzzleloading suppliers. You can buy two and put a very small notch in it and it makes a fine knapping tool.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 12:56:12 AM »
I have a slide remover made from mild steel that is narrower and slightly thinner than the thinnest wedge in any of my rifles.  My slides are mostly steel, and have a line engraved or filed across their width, so the tool indexes and doesn't slip off into the adjacent wood.  Also, I case harden my slides so the steel tool doesn't mark them at all.  I keep one of these on my bench, and another in my range box...simply made from a three inch long strip of mild steel.  Normally, I don;'t have to drive the wedge all the way across.  Once I get it started, they are usually pulled out with fingers alone. 
And I slot my wedges and install with a keeper pin so that they do not come completely out of the stock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline TDM

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 03:32:56 AM »
In a pinch, take a wooden cloths pin apart and use one of the tips. File or whittle the tip to fit.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 08:16:48 AM »
 Naphtali - I think you are over thinking this.
All I EVER use is a wide blade screw driver & just push it out. If I need to I tape on the handle with a small hammer.  For pins, I usually use a small diameter allen wrench & push them out far enough to grab and pull out with fingers or needle nose pliers.
Daryl

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 04:40:58 PM »
When I clean my rifles so equipped I some times use that screw driver placed on the line I have cut into/onto the end of the key and if it be a little tight I tap the screwdriver with the edge of the lock.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2023, 08:19:45 PM »
I have used a half of a stick left over after eating a corn dog.  :D They are flat with round edges and fit just right into the escutcheons on my plains rifle. A bit of a tap with mallet and the captured key is out. 

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2023, 08:41:38 PM »
You will have two if a popsicle stick is cut in half.
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2023, 01:16:54 AM »
When I clean my rifles so equipped I some times use that screw driver placed on the line I have cut into/onto the end of the key and if it be a little tight I tap the screwdriver with the edge of the lock.

Exactly!
Daryl