Author Topic: Hunting Horn ByWy Mississippi  (Read 937 times)

Offline LynnC

Hunting Horn ByWy Mississippi
« on: April 02, 2023, 05:51:07 AM »
I bought this horn at an estate auction today in ByWy Miss..  ByWy is an Indian name for the place. What stuck me was the octagonal section behind the mouth and the owners initials inside the open end of the horn. Lets see if i can show you the photos

The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline LynnC

Re: Hunting Horn ByWy Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 05:55:23 AM »
A. E. B. Signed the horn in several places. I hope the photos came through. I have no idea of the age but its a cool piece of local Mississippi history

Offline Levy

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 06:24:17 PM »
Looks like the dotting along the rim might be a date.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 07:18:59 PM »
Given the travel and commerce on the MS River and the Natchez Trace, it could have come from anywhere.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline LynnC

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 12:37:41 AM »
Levy you may be right about a date but I cant really make it out. Further study under better light.

TOF. The Trace goes straight thru the Bywy community so traded for is a real possibility.

Other than the octagonal section it does resemble many of the simple locally (eastern Mississippi/western Alabama) made horns I have run across at auctions and sales in the last 35 yrs. Most are dirt plain and initialed. A few dated. And even fewer decorated at all. This one is going in my collection.

It measures about 10-1/2” straight from tip to open end and 12” around the curve.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 12:47:48 AM by LynnC »