Author Topic: Proof Load for .50 cal pistol  (Read 890 times)

Offline Swede Creek

• Starting Member
  • Swede Creek Long Gun
Proof Load for .50 cal pistol
« on: April 03, 2023, 03:02:46 AM »
Whoa.

Guess I was asking about shooting load for this 12" barrel .50 cal, but had not asked about a proof load.

Again, 12 " rice swamped barrel with a touch hole liner.

What say you?

Swede Creek

Offline alacran

Re: Proof Load for .50 cal pistol
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 02:54:59 PM »
I wouldn't bother to proof test a Rice pistol barrel. The slowest twist rate they make is 1 in 20.  A load in the 30 grain range, is probably all that will
shoot accurately.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 05:04:32 PM »
The chances of a Rice barrel blowing up with black powder is zero.Being a flintlock it will relieve thru the flash hole
Fire it at night if possible and watch the ignition cycle even with 30 or 40 grains of 3fg.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 09:51:13 PM »
I'd try 25gr. 3F first. That might be all that's needed, however more powder will increase the velocity, if that is necessary.
Even Taylor's .60 (18" twist) only uses 25gr. 3F or maybe he uses 2F - I don't remember, but it's a 1-holer at 25yards.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 07:52:08 PM »
Whoa.

Guess I was asking about shooting load for this 12" barrel .50 cal, but had not asked about a proof load.

Again, 12 " rice swamped barrel with a touch hole liner.

What say you?

Swede Creek
Proofing does more than check the barrel. It also checks the vent liner install. Is the breech properly fitted?
For 50 pistol. I would shoot it with at LEAST 60 grains of FFF and 2 balls. But not in the stock.
Years ago Pa Keelor stopped proving barrels and then had one fail. This was a Douglas.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine