Author Topic: Ramrod doesn't like to come out!  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Crabapples

• Starting Member
Ramrod doesn't like to come out!
« on: April 04, 2023, 10:33:04 PM »
Hey all, hope I can get a little advice from someone who knows what they're doing. In short, while I can get the ramrod into place, it sticks a bit and is difficult to remove on account of some wobble in the ramrod itself.

I am putting together my first longrifle kit, a Kibler Colonial. I have assembled the parts, but not yet done any staining. I have tapered the end of the ramrod to match the steel ferrule and worked it a ways back up. I have run the rod through the thimbles, so I know there's enough clearance, but the bend in the rod causes it to press against the hardware.

Do I need a new ramrod? Should I start over, or is there something I can do to straighten the thing out?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Ramrod doesn't like to come out!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 11:10:58 PM »
I’d thin it very slightly and straighten it with heat. Straightening with heat takes practice and there’s a chance of damaging your ramrod if inexperienced. I use a heat gun over a brick with a brick backstop to reflect heat. Look up “heat straightening of wooden arrows” to get an idea. The rod or heat should moved slowly but constantly to not char. It can take several minutes of careful heating to get the wood “bendy”. Then it must be bent a little past straight and held there till it’s “not bendy”.

Practice with a dowel is recommended.

Many ramrod blanks I’ve used have needed some straightening. I don’t mind a little bend. It keeps the rod from sliding out.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 11:46:57 PM »
I personally wouldn’t be too worried about how straight it is, but to make it better just bend it in the opposite direction.  This usually works fine to straighten things out.  Sounds like your rod is just a touch too big. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 03:19:00 AM »
Likely too large in diameter, somewhere along it's length, just as Jim said.
In and out, in and out in and out the same way every time. Should be a mark where it's rubbing badly.
Straightening it should also help.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JPK

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 04:38:34 AM »
The rod may not be truly round in cross section, so some twisting while sanding can help. Be sure to whisker it well before finishing.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 05:20:20 AM »
I've had a problem with ram rods that are TOO straight.  They want to slide out of the thimbles.  So I have had to heat bend them just to get them to stay put.    :)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline HIB

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 06:48:32 AM »
 Crabapple,     Try inserting the ram rod with the forward lock bolt removed.    I can't tell you how many times I have had to remove forward lock bolt to release ram rod in an old antique gun.    A little round filing of the lock bolt threads generally solves the problem.   Do not go overboard as you want a little friction so the ram rod doesn't slide out when you don't want it to.   Good luck,   HIB

Offline JLayne

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 01:20:32 PM »
I agree with the above folks who suggest making the ramrod a bit thinner. After filing the taper to match the tip Jim supplies with the kit, I typically sand the rod down with 80 grit paper until it slides all the way into position in the hole in the stock with very little resistance. Once I get to that point, I then sand it with 180 and 220 grit to smooth it out. If you are worried about it being too thin, keep in mind it will swell somewhat when you add stain and finish.

You will likely find that most, but not all, of the initial sanding is only needed along the first 1/3 to 2/3 of the length of the ramrod, as the rod will generally pass through the thimbles easily before it will seat all the way down inside the hole in the stock, which tends to be more snug of a fit than the thimbles themselves. I generally don’t worry about a slight bend in the rod because, once sanded to fit, the bend gives it some spring tension that will help hold it in place under recoil and/or, when you are holding the rifle with the muzzle pointed down.

Good luck.
Jay

Offline Crabapples

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 06:59:51 PM »
Crabapple,     Try inserting the ram rod with the forward lock bolt removed.   

Just gave that a try; it does not seem like the forward bolt is interfering in my case, but thanks for that interesting tip!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 08:50:27 PM »
Crabapple,     Try inserting the ram rod with the forward lock bolt removed.   

Just gave that a try; it does not seem like the forward bolt is interfering in my case, but thanks for that interesting tip!

Here's a video on the subject of ramrod assembly and fitting.

Offline Crabapples

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 09:27:03 PM »
I agree with the above folks who suggest making the ramrod a bit thinner.

That's the assessment of the old fellas down at the range. There are a few muzzleloader builders there and I took it to them, and they had the same opinion.

A-sanding I shall go!

Thanks a bunch

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 11:02:52 PM »
What they said!  When I start working on a ramrod for a particular rifle I taper the end until it seats and is pulled out without undue force.  Never straightened a rod but I like rods with just a little bend to keep them from falling out.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 02:00:19 AM »
Jim Kibler’s rods for his kits run a wee bit oversized deliberately so they can be fitted perfectly. The one I fitted for my friends colonial kit took a bit of sanding and scraping. Not even a hours work. Then needing some burnishing to fit after finish application. BJH
BJH

Offline TDM

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2023, 04:08:51 AM »
As answered above, keep sanding/tapering the rod until it fits the hole in the stock. It’s the last 1/3 or so of the ram rod that needs attention.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 12:11:52 PM »
No shortage of quality advice, and HIB may help you a lot.  The only way I have ever fitted a ramrod well is to start with the lock bolt idea, and then assemble the thimbles from tail pipe to front.

It is easier to identify constrictive points when you work from the rear of the rifle to the muzzle.. Look for compression points on the rod as you work.  Also, a waist belt of a sharpie line  at a constiction point will help you shave the rod more evenly as you work...assuming you don't have one of those razzle dazzle rod shaping tools that are very hard to find...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2023, 04:23:06 PM »
Arrow guy here; Put your ramrod on a flat surface with the bend up, using the round shank of a screwdriver rub the high spot while putting downward pressure on the rod. You don't need to put much pressure on the rod, I would guess 5# or so. 4 or 5 strokes, check your progress and repeat until straight.

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2023, 10:56:13 PM »
+++ for the ramrod shaping tool!!  Easy and quick to use.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2023, 03:07:23 AM »
Considering every muzzleloader I have shot has the ramrod jump forward 1/2" on each shot, having a little "grab" in the channel is not a bad thing.