General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

pewter pour/ patchknife

(1/2) > >>

b bogart:
Alright you knifemakers, let me know if I'm going to screw up here. I want to pour pewter at the juction of the whitetail antler and the damascus patchknife blade I attempting to complete. Any worries about the heat (or anything else) screwing up the blade or the antler? I don't mind the antler so much, but I definitely do not wanna screw up the blade.
Appreciate any thoughts or input.
Bruce

Chuck Burrows:
The amount of heat from a pewter pour should cause you no problems - I pour them all the time on knives.

this should help.........also pre-warming the blade helps the pewter flow around it better - use a heat gun on low of a low torch - doesn;'t take much...........

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/_pewter.html

b bogart:
Thank you very much Chuck!
Bruce

Ky-Flinter:
A follow up question to the knive makers....

I have a project very similar to Bruce's.  I have a blade with a spike tag and I was planning to epoxy it in an antler handle.  Will contact with the molten pewter affect the epoxy?

How do you handle this situation? (haha, no pun intended!)  Thanks,

-Ron

Rolf:
Ron, most epoxys melt in range 80 to 100 celsius and catch fire pretty easy at higher temperatures. When I want to break up a metal to metal epoxy bond, I either boil the parts in water or set fire to the epoxy with a propan torch.

If the tang get hot enough , the epoxy will melt. When melted epoxys solidifies, it turns brittel.

Best regards
Rolfkt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version