Author Topic: Beaded hammer stall  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Ssags70

• Starting Member
Beaded hammer stall
« on: April 15, 2023, 03:21:20 PM »
Are there any historic sketches, pieces or observations of beaded hammer stalls? Have seen a few pics of pieces which people carried at various reenactments, but was interested if it was an actual practice at least on trade rifles of the eastern woodlands, etc…

Offline B.Barker

Re: Beaded hammer stall
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 04:19:35 PM »
I have never read about hammer stalls being used in the 18th or 19th century in any of the books I've read. They depended on their rifle for protection and didn't want to think about pulling a stall off when they were ambushed by the enemy.

Offline Ssags70

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 06:20:00 PM »
Honestly I have not either, but then I have spent the majority of my time researching rendezvous, Mountain men and the tribes of the west. Just getting my feet wet East of the Mississippi, and I see references here and there but can’t find any true history on it. Thank you

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 04:57:59 AM »
Flash guards and stalls are nice things to have but two centuries ago they didn't think about safety the way we do. The soldiers primed their muskets before pouring the main charge down the barrel. Try doing that on a range today and see what happens. There is an account of an Ojibwa walking on ice and falling and nearly cutting his hand off. He got up made to shore and his camp and finished taking his hand off. Myself I wouldn't carry an axe without a cover on the bit to keep that kind of thing from happening. I'm not trying to discourage you from making a stall I'm just saying that they aren't in any original accounts from 18th century writers.

Offline Ssags70

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 05:43:05 AM »
I appreciate the info, always eager to learn.  I will probably make one for all my rifles, it’s a useful tool when on the hunt.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 11:22:33 PM »
unless I am mistakenm, hammer stalls and flashguards are a result of twentieth century reenactment rules and site insurance policies.

When I went through Lymans General Orders and original documents of the like accidents among the militia were rampant and maybe they would have been a good idea...

Offline Ssags70

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 09:20:07 PM »
Threads gettin old but figured I’d add a little piece I did. My appliqué stitch leaves a lot to be desired but wanted to try it on a little piece.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 11:30:18 PM »
Yup...would've been a good idea...

Offline Bubblehead

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2024, 05:54:46 AM »
Hammerstalls were widely used in the military and both British and German manuals direct their use. There are existing ones in an Austrian castle and a swedish museum from the 18th century. But outside of the military I'm not sure how much use they had. I don't see them mentioned in sport shooting manuals at all.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2024, 03:24:59 PM »
Hammerstalls were widely used in the military and both British and German manuals direct their use. There are existing ones in an Austrian castle and a swedish museum from the 18th century. But outside of the military I'm not sure how much use they had. I don't see them mentioned in sport shooting manuals at all.

This