Author Topic: My new/old 54 GPR, Mutt  (Read 2717 times)

Offline bigsmoke

Re: My new/old 54 GPR, Mutt
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2023, 07:04:23 PM »
Just a few thoughts.
Leave your sights alone until you develop a good load.  And while your groups are getting better, kind of, they are still pretty wide.
Forget about your cross sticks and use a solid shooting bench to develop a load off of.  If that is not easily available, shoot from a prone position with a wood block for a rest.
Saliva is a perfectly good patch lube for target shooting.  And it's readily available.
L & R makes their RPL line of locks, and they make one for the GPR.  I just installed one on a T/C PA Hunter as a conversion from flint to percussion and I couldn't be happier with the result.
And frankly, I would not use your homemade powder to develop a load with.  I would stick with Swiss or GOEX.  And give Ffg a try as well.
All for now.  Good luck and the best of success.
Looking forward to future postings.
John (Bigsmoke)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2023, 08:00:21 PM »
Agreed, consistency in your load will get the best results so dont alter your sights until you get the most consistent load/group.

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2023, 08:50:13 PM »
As long as your gaining your progressing ,looking for the conclusion soon (all 10 s)/Ed

Offline JohnB

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2023, 10:41:37 PM »
Good group, wrong spot on the target. I was going to enter it in the postal match, but it scores the same as the one I entered yesterday, (37 or 38). I was a bit steadier today and I'll put some more lead downrange before I move or file sights any further. The .022 patch was extremely tight when loading yesterday so I've lapped the bore with some 0000 steel wool, (about 50 passes full length and that seemed to help some). Anyways, this was 25yd offhand, 85gr of my homemade FF, .022 patch lubed with 5:1 water/ballistol, .530 RB.

Just for fun, here's a shot of my other sidelock. Traditions .50 cal woodsman. I've been doing a little work on this one to make it not so "big box store". Originally it had the red/brown overly glossy finish on the stock, so I've sanded most of that off but left some in key areas to show through the new finish, red mahogany stain and finished with linseed oil. I've filed on the comb to actually give it one, off the shelf the stock looked practically straight. I thinned the wrist a bit so it doesn't feel like gripping a paint can, took the fish belly off the bottom and made that line from the toe of the stock to the back of the trigger guard straight as well as the line from the heel to the comb. All the formerly bright shiny brass has been darkened and gun blued and here and there touched with some steel wool to "age" it. And the barrel has been given a bit of a sanding/steel wool treatment on the high spots to simulate some wear and dull that factory blueing down to look like the rifle's been handled a lot. Of course, the modern rear sight is ugly but I think I'll keep it for now, (its a good sight)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2023, 05:09:47 AM »
Nice try, but hard to do much with a piece of wood that was just too small to start with.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JohnB

• Starting Member
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2023, 09:43:06 PM »
Nice try, but hard to do much with a piece of wood that was just too small to start with.

;D True, lol! But it's a bit more personalized now, it never was or ever will be a Hawken but it looks better than it did (and it was a fun project)