Author Topic: Hawken Rifle Barrel Stamp  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
Hawken Rifle Barrel Stamp
« on: April 19, 2023, 04:26:29 PM »
I would like to acquire the same letter stamp set they used on the top barrel flat. What is it? 

Thanks
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Hawken Rifle Barrel Stamp
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 04:48:13 PM »
The one I saw years ago was one piece and that means get it right the first strike.There are places that can make these and I was going to get one for my lock and triggers but my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and everything stopped dead until we found she had a tumor that was close to the surface and the surgeon popped it like pulling a tooth.
  Individual stencils can be used but it's a one time only thing in getting it right.I signed my work in a semi circle so a perfect imprint was not important.The old softer barrels were not hard to imprint with a one line stamp but the ones we have now may not be even those made from 12L14. Bill Large used 1144 which is easy to machine with common tools but used individual stencils for his name and odd remarks he added from time to time.
Go "Awnlyne"and see what's available and for how much.I  was quoted $160 for the semi circular last name with USA inside the name.
Bob Roller

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 06:41:44 PM »
I investigated it when made my Hawken.  The originals used two stamps.  They do not line up exactly.  SO you will have to have two made.  It can be done by EDM.  It is very expensive.  They will not look exactly like the original stampings .  I gave up on the idea.  I can not see an honest reason to add spurious markings. 

There are places that etch markings.  I could be wrong, but maybe Turnbull.  You need magnification to tell that it is fake.   

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 07:16:46 PM »
Back in the day one of the suppliers offered Hawken stamps. They were all the rage and nobody seemed to care much. Simpler days, pre-internet.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 07:27:37 PM »
 On this subject, has anybody seen a lock stamped by either or both of the Hawkens brothers? I’ve seen barrels with their stamp on them, but not a lock. Just curious.

Hungry Horse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 08:26:25 PM »
On this subject, has anybody seen a lock stamped by either or both of the Hawkens brothers? I’ve seen barrels with their stamp on them, but not a lock. Just curious.

Hungry Horse

There was a percussion lock being sold through the 1980s with cast-in “J&S Hawken” on it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JPK

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 08:51:43 PM »
I had a jewelry shop do a lazer cut  on a barrel to my Specifications and font. They were willing to do it to the same look as a stamp that I had a photo of. The charge was $40 and the work is first rate. This was not a mall type shop that uses a jig, basically a CNC set up.
335425F8-A455-4CFC-A68D-4E557A9D53FE by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 08:57:18 PM by JPK »
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 10:10:08 PM »

Hungry Horse

There was a percussion lock being sold through the 1980s with cast-in “J&S Hawken” on it.

I made a lot of these with the J&S Hawken name cast into the plate and they were sold as a kit.I had a poor opinion of the mechanism offered and made my own.They were later sold by Jerry Devaudreuil in Ohio and I bought plates and a matching hammer from him and
he got those items and a LOT more from "International Arms Co" in Livonia,Michigan.*These plates and hammers were good and all I made
had my last name in a semi circle and usually the year date and later USA.The last lock I made was one of these with the primitive internal parts like the old ones with a full cock only,bridle with one screw and a pin plus main and sear springs with the blue temper color.The hammer had a pattern of cross checkering and the original had none.I may still have some of these parts but maybe not.
*International Arms was owned by H.C.Hess in Livonia,Michigan and the name attracted the attention of the BATF who thought he might have been selling WW2 MG 42's or other interesting contraband.He owned a number of moulds for a lot of different parts and pieces for muzzle loaders and even if you had an exclusive the chances were that your parts would show up in somebody else's catalog.An an example was that Bill Large was the one who paid to have the Maslin moulds made and then Russ Hamm started selling the locks.Bill thought it was
funny and later I got Maslin parts and made locks from them ;D.Chet Shoults Ketland locks and another Ketland of unknown origin and a big assortment of butt plates and trigger guards were also part of the inventory.Later Jerry Devaudreuil bought the whole operation and Hess moved to Florida where he passed away in the 1970's. "International Arms"was,after Jerry Devaudreuil's death was finally bought by Log Cabin Shop in Lodi,Ohio and now managed by Liza Kindig,a grand daughter of the founder,Wes Kindig.This was before Log Cabin got the
R.E.Davis operation.
Bob Roller 

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 02:47:37 AM »
My drive behind this, is I would like to stamp my name on the guns I build. i have seen some of the engraving, and much of it looks hideous to me.
I like the font and stamping on the old original rifles     
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 02:52:39 AM »
 I’m sorry  I wasn’t clear. I wanted to know if anyone had seen an original Hawken with a lock signed by them.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 03:16:34 PM »
The repro lock plates I used apparently signed J&S Hawken and moulds were made from the complete lock including the plate and hammer.
I made a bunch of them.The lock used was an original and apparently was made in the Hawken shop.
Bob Roller

Offline Longknife

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 04:23:43 PM »
I’m sorry  I wasn’t clear. I wanted to know if anyone had seen an original Hawken with a lock signed by them.

Hungry Horse
On page 25 of Bairds' "Hawken Rifles The Mountain Mans Choice" is a picture of a full stock Hawken with the lock stamped "J&S HAWKEN"....LK
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 04:58:37 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 04:53:22 PM »
Thank you Ed. I just couldn’t help thinking the Hawkens brothers never made locks because I had never seen a signed one, now I know there is a signed one out there.

Hungry Horse

Offline Longknife

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 04:58:12 PM »
 Also there is a pair of pistols on page 64 stamped the same on the locks. These pistols are also in the book "The Hawken Rifle" by Woodfill on page 151....LK
Ed Hamberg

Offline RAT

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2023, 06:45:41 PM »
A few years ago I tried searching for a couple of custom stamp makers to make me a stamp with my initials in the same font to match what makers were using at the time. I couldn't find any that matched. Infinity Stamps made me a couple of stamps, but the font doesn't look right. The serifs seem to be the problem. Everybody does simple gothic without the serifs. Infinity did the serifs, but they were at a strange angle for some reason.

Also, stamping modern steel barrels gives a different impression than what we see on original iron barrels. It just doesn't look right.

I have a Leman trade rifle made by Jack Brooks that has his name stamped on the barrel. It looks great! It's really a good likeness to an original stamping. You might try getting in contact with him to get his recommendation. I wish I had, but never seemed to around to it.
Bob

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2023, 03:54:55 AM »
Hey HH, I finished up a transitional rifle that the idea is a Maryland flint fullstock ,iron mtd, refitted by the Hawken brothers  and I had a Griffin lock and got Jim Parker to engrave it like the on that  Longknife mentions.
I am going to post it before long on here.
Best regards,Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2023, 06:02:44 AM »
I had a jewelry shop do a lazer cut  on a barrel to my Specifications and font. They were willing to do it to the same look as a stamp that I had a photo of. The charge was $40 and the work is first rate. This was not a mall type shop that uses a jig, basically a CNC set up.
335425F8-A455-4CFC-A68D-4E557A9D53FE by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
This is a registered Trade Mark owned by C Sharps Arms. The reason Shiloh stopped using it.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2023, 06:15:22 AM »
I have used this company in Idaho twice and was more than pleased with their work.  https://www.steelstampsinc.com   There are others out there as well.