Author Topic: First Flint Pistol Build  (Read 846 times)

Offline Van

• Starting Member
First Flint Pistol Build
« on: April 26, 2023, 04:39:25 PM »
  This build was from a 45cal Green Mountain 10" barrel, curly maple stock, shaped but not inlet and Siler Small Filntlock.  I just test fired it a few times and it shoots great.  The hardest part was finding a barrel in stock.  Haven't had time to do much shooting but will soon as the weather is getting much nicer now. 

computer display resolution

Offline Cody Tetachuk

Re: First Flint Pistol Build
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 07:55:30 PM »
Nice work. A couple of observations for future projects. The lock panels should be half that wide to less. The front upper lockpanel, where it goes around the lock nose and back to the barrel should have a slight curve to more closely follow the lock plate rather than the relatively straight angle fro lock nose to barrel (hope I described that clearly) and you want half of the ram rod visible. By removing more wood from the bottom of the foreshocks to reveal more of the ram rod, you will produce a more rounded side panel, slim up the overall appearance and produce a better transition at the entry thimble, less "soft" and gradual. It is amazing how removing just a little wood in these areas can make a significant improvement in visual appeal. Since you did not specifically ask for opinions, I hope I did not over step. You workmanship looks good but the architecture come naturally to very few. The vast majority of us had to learn it, usually by trail and error. Good work. Look forward to seeing more.

Offline Van

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 12:07:35 AM »
  Thanks, Cody, for the good advice.  I did stop too soon on removing wood on those areas.  I was too anxious to see the stain on the wood grain.  There is only a seal coat of finish on it, so it is easy to correct those areas as you said for a slimmer look and more visual appeal.  I really meant to ask for advice as it was my first pistol. 

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 11:36:23 PM »
Looks good for a first. I too have a thing about removing what I think is too much from the fore end and am trying to get my current builds to be Dangerously close. hahah.
My mentor tells me to take off as much as you dare, then take off some more!! Geez. haha
Keep at it, its far easier to take more off than to add more back. Don't EVEN ask me how I know. lol

Have a great day. Dave 8) 8)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 01:02:27 AM »
Better than I built. Cody's suggestions are spot-on.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V