Author Topic: First build, 1803 Harpers Ferry  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Vikingson

• Starting Member
First build, 1803 Harpers Ferry
« on: April 26, 2023, 10:27:16 PM »
Hello,  I’m looking at doing my first build of a complete rifle.  I have restocked but never a full build.  I found a complete key from Muzzle Builders  Supply.  It’s either their kit or going through The Rifle Shop and I love the research they’ve done but it seems most of their parts are a little more than I’m ready for.  I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you

Offline Ats5331

Re: First build, 1803 Harpers Ferry
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 11:25:15 PM »
Go through MBS, you couldn’t ask to deal with nicer people. Terry Jo and Ryan both have hearts of gold!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 11:35:00 PM »
Go with the one that has the parts on hand in stock. I 2nd MBS as a good choice but I have never bought from TRS. Always had good luck with MBS.

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 12:08:39 AM »
Read up on the kits, and I would suggest not getting the lock or the triggers inlet, if they aren't in exactly the right spot you're in for a time fixing it and as a rookie I can attest to the difficulty of figuring out what is wrong, why it's wrong and what to do to fix it.  Putting them in the right place to begin with is easier and faster in my opinion, again as a rookie.  Having the stock shaped and barrel inlet I would suggest doing, massaging them isn't too difficult.

Offline Vikingson

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 12:40:44 AM »
Go with the one that has the parts on hand in stock. I 2nd MBS as a good choice but I have never bought from TRS. Always had good luck with MBS.
From my conversation with Ryan, I have to agree.  Great guy to talk to with lots of information. Ordered the last 1803 kit he will do. 

Offline Vikingson

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 12:43:47 AM »
Read up on the kits, and I would suggest not getting the lock or the triggers inlet, if they aren't in exactly the right spot you're in for a time fixing it and as a rookie I can attest to the difficulty of figuring out what is wrong, why it's wrong and what to do to fix it.  Putting them in the right place to begin with is easier and faster in my opinion, again as a rookie.  Having the stock shaped and barrel inlet I would suggest doing, massaging them isn't too difficult.
. I’ve been looking into this rifle for a long time, just now have time to actually do the build.  Ryan had the only complete set of all suppliers to put out this kit.  I’ve ordered the last one that he said he will put together.  Thanks for your input.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 05:15:55 AM »
. I’ve been looking into this rifle for a long time, just now have time to actually do the build.  Ryan had the only complete set of all suppliers to put out this kit.  I’ve ordered the last one that he said he will put together.  Thanks for your input.
Those same parts are sold other places as well.
Psalms 144

Offline Vikingson

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 06:57:32 AM »
Everywhere else I looked parts were out. TRS and Pecatonica to name a couple 2. Apparently the main source for the castings for these rifles has retired.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 09:06:13 PM »
My first was from MBS, and the crew there was tops in advice and direction.  They truly value their customers, and will soon treat you as a family member.

Best of luck with your project - and there is only about 2 or 3hundred folks here who will help you along.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Vikingson

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 07:10:42 PM »
My first was from MBS, and the crew there was tops in advice and direction.  They truly value their customers, and will soon treat you as a family member.

Best of luck with your project - and there is only about 2 or 3hundred folks here who will help you along.
Thank you. Ryan has been great to talk to and really helpful. I’m looking forward to getting this started.