Author Topic: May Match  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
May Match
« on: May 03, 2023, 07:22:29 PM »
OK
Trying to save ink and toner here and give something that can be seen. 25 yards,  5 shots standing, 1/2 ball to score the higher score. Since we shot rest last go around and turnout was low will try this. I won’t shoot it for score. Somebody else can pick next time ;) So get out and shoot.
https://targets4free.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NRA-B-4-Target-Red-Center-Adapted-by-Targets4Free.pdf

I printed them in color and B&W. Both look good and should work OK.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Maven

Re: May Match
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 08:29:36 PM »
Both will work well, DP.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 09:02:03 PM »
Looks good.
I printed some targets but I don't know if I'll get to shoot it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JBJ

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 09:17:55 PM »
Dan,
I'm sure that we'll give it a try but my offhand is laughable  ;D

J.B.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 04:24:50 AM »
Dan,
I'm sure that we'll give it a try but my offhand is laughable  ;D

J.B.

Practice makes perfect. ::)

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 01:00:46 PM »

I shot these targets yesterday afternoon. It was a glorious Midwest Spring day. Temperatures were in the low 70s, the wind was less than 3 miles per hour, and the sun was shining.
I was at a friend's farm and the only negative was that we had to lather ourselves up with vanilla extract to keep the Buffalo gnats at bay.
I was shooting my Bucks county .54. I shot the first target on the left with 60 grains of Goex 2f, JoAnn's drill 40 and a .530 ball. The second target was the same except I used 70 grains of 2F.
I suppose I need to file a bit of the front sight. I built the rifle seven years ago and sighted in with the 60 grain load. That was before I had cataract surgery. After that the gun consistently shot low. So i will file down the front sights.
I was going to shoot another target but my left shoulder was starting to bother me, so I called it a day.
I overlayed the targets over a clean one in order to score them. I came up with a 35 on the left one and a 44 on the right. Of course it is up to Dan to make the call.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 01:18:42 PM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 07:18:30 PM »
Good groups, alacran!!
always THE "flier".
Daryl

Offline Jakob

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 07:54:20 PM »
Lol, yeah, I'd struggle with a group like that from the rest!

Offline JBJ

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 03:16:02 PM »
Alacran,
Excellent shooting!. You have set the bar high or as Marc said "There's not much meat left on the bone." Will drag out my .32 and give it a go as soon as I can get away to the range. Prepare for a laugh!  ;D

J.B.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 04:28:42 AM »
Nice shooting Alacran.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 04:33:03 AM »
I see you  down 6  on  the best target for the 44.
75-80 gr might bring it up. But if you have shoulder issues it might not be a good idea.

Offline alacran

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 12:48:31 PM »
I did the math and filed the front sight a little. It had always shot pretty good with 60 grains. I have mostly used this rifle as a hunting rifle, and my hunting load is 95 grains of 2f.

I have taken 3cow elk with it ranging from 35 yards to 95 yards. It is a very light rifle. I hope to try it again tomorrow. I am right handed and my surgery was on the left arm. The recoil is not bothering me as much as holding the gun up is. Haven't recovered my strength yet.
I'm going to print some targets in B&W, not sure if the red center helps or hinders.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2023, 05:30:06 PM »
Hopefully, we can get out in a week.
Daryl

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2023, 05:33:57 PM »
Been dealing with hang fires. Unbreeched the gun and found a fouling cake at the breech. I will scrape from now on! Hope that this week I shoot better.

Andover, Vermont

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 01:40:49 PM »
Went pot yesterday to the Buck Creek range. I guess I was too cautious with my front sight filing. Didn't take off enough to bring up my POI with 60 grains of 2f. That was the target on the left. the other two were shot with 70 grains of 2f. Was fighting my wobble all morning and was being inpatient as well.
Best out of this bunch scored a 40. I dont think the red center really made much difference, Will try this again.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2023, 10:19:54 PM »
Okay, fun but frustrating day at the range.  J.B. and I finally got a day without rain, but humidity was heavy.  My Hawken capgun is too heavy for offhand work, so .50 swamped flintlock it was.  I do enjoy offhand, and that is 90+ % of my practice time. 

Started off doing well, but soon got into failures to ignite prime, delays, misfires and hangfires.   J.B. noted the Chambers/Evrard lock was throwing sparks, but the prime was not igniting.  Normally this rifle is extremely reliable at ignition.  The pan, flint and frizzen were wiped between each shot, and those were wiped clean of oil with alcohol last night.  The priming powder just would not ignite.  4F Swiss.  I think perhaps it had gone stale or damp in my range primer. 

The target here was shot in this order.  10.  10.  7 (called). 9.  Misfire. Misfire.  Hangfire = 4 (or 5).  That last one I thought was a misfire and started lowering the rifle.  Grrrrrr.   J.B. got to hear some choice words.  My apologies!

So I think it scores a 40 or 41, not enough to challenge the lead, that is for sure. 

Best wishes to those heading out to shoot some more targets.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline alacran

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2023, 12:09:34 PM »
Marc you started out on fire , then the joy of flintlocks bit you. Good shooting even with the hangfire. Plenty of time left, not even the middle of the month yet.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2023, 03:43:21 PM »
Dan,
I promised you that I would shoot a target and I promised it would be an occasion for laughter. Please note that I have delivered both plus a bonus. I didn't notice until I returned home that I can no longer count.  ;D. My shotgun is .32 caliber using 27 grains of Goex FFFG, a .31 ball and .018 canvas. Good grief the wobbles! Wife says I need to start working on upper body strength. At 79, I'm not sure if there is much to work with. Anyway, target disqualified!
However, as always, it was a fun day with Marc on the range and I improved my vocabulary by listening to Marc's conversations with his rifle. The two of them sure had some animated discussions! There was something about the makings for a not so decent tomato stake. Thought I was going to have to rescue the rifle. Fun day!

J.B.

Offline petejc

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2023, 06:32:56 PM »
alacran,
I'm new to this postal shooting and never did it, but I want to try it one day..   I'm a little confused and have a question.  On your reply #5 the two targets.   The holes look like they were made by wadcutters, they are so sharp.....when I shot PRB my holes never look that clean.....Not being a smart a$$, just want to learn....Thanks,  Pete
U.S. Navy 61 to 65, Pa. State Trooper 30 yrs, NRA Life member

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2023, 06:42:47 PM »
If you have a cardboard backer behind the target, the holes will be sharper in detail. As well, the higher the velocity, the sharper in detail are the edges.
Put them together and you have sharp detailed holes.
Marc's target looks like a solid 41 to me, solid & not even close to a 40.
Just got home from the first trip. Have to get the trailer and boat motor ready. Might not have time to shoot this month's target, but will try. Depends as well on Taylor.
Daryl

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2023, 11:54:33 PM »
Just to clarify JBJ’s post. It was clearly not the rifle’s fault, as it is an exceptional shooting piece of art.  I was frustrated and PO’ed at the priming situation.  Time to clean out my primer! 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2023, 12:38:32 AM »
Dan,
I promised you that I would shoot a target and I promised it would be an occasion for laughter. Please note that I have delivered both plus a bonus. I didn't notice until I returned home that I can no longer count.  ;D. My shotgun is .32 caliber using 27 grains of Goex FFFG, a .31 ball and .018 canvas. Good grief the wobbles! Wife says I need to start working on upper body strength. At 79, I'm not sure if there is much to work with. Anyway, target disqualified!
However, as always, it was a fun day with Marc on the range and I improved my vocabulary by listening to Marc's conversations with his rifle. The two of them sure had some animated discussions! There was something about the makings for a not so decent tomato stake. Thought I was going to have to rescue the rifle. Fun day!

J.B.

That target may or may not be disqualified. Normally the highest scoring shot is not scored in a situation like this, in CF matches, so I would score that as a 37/50. - 13.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 12:41:49 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2023, 01:15:00 PM »
By NMLRA rules your target would not be disqualified either. Same as what Daryl says.

Offline alacran

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2023, 01:27:13 PM »
alacran,
I'm new to this postal shooting and never did it, but I want to try it one day..   I'm a little confused and have a question.  On your reply #5 the two targets.   The holes look like they were made by wadcutters, they are so sharp.....when I shot PRB my holes never look that clean.....Not being a smart a$$, just want to learn....Thanks,  Pete
Tell you the truth, I was surprised too since I used plain 20# copy paper. I posted the targets on a wooden target board and I assume that is why they cut so clean.
The targets I posted on reply #14 were placed on a plastic target board and they have ragged edges, which is what I usually get with 20# paper.
The plastic backer boards never leave a clean hole even when new since the balls don't cut clean through them.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2023, 01:46:00 AM »
I thought I would get in on the fun, but don’t have access to a printer out here in the Tennessee woods.
I fired up my old Bedford .36 caliber. Took a few shots to get on target and loose the flinches. My second five was better after I got my follow through down. 69 year old eyes don’t help.

Not for score, but the black is 4” in diameter.

As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.