Author Topic: May Match  (Read 3868 times)

Offline alacran

Re: May Match
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2023, 01:42:16 PM »
Nice shooting Oakabow. PM me an address and I will send you some targets.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2023, 06:24:15 AM »
Okay, fun but frustrating day at the range.  J.B. and I finally got a day without rain, but humidity was heavy.  My Hawken capgun is too heavy for offhand work, so .50 swamped flintlock it was.  I do enjoy offhand, and that is 90+ % of my practice time. 

Started off doing well, but soon got into failures to ignite prime, delays, misfires and hangfires.   J.B. noted the Chambers/Evrard lock was throwing sparks, but the prime was not igniting.  Normally this rifle is extremely reliable at ignition.  The pan, flint and frizzen were wiped between each shot, and those were wiped clean of oil with alcohol last night.  The priming powder just would not ignite.  4F Swiss.  I think perhaps it had gone stale or damp in my range primer. 

The target here was shot in this order.  10.  10.  7 (called). 9.  Misfire. Misfire.  Hangfire = 4 (or 5).  That last one I thought was a misfire and started lowering the rifle.  Grrrrrr.   J.B. got to hear some choice words.  My apologies!

So I think it scores a 40 or 41, not enough to challenge the lead, that is for sure. 

Best wishes to those heading out to shoot some more targets.   God Bless,   Marc

Its a 41.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online Daryl

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2023, 10:29:20 PM »
Taylor and I got out this morning. It's 12:24 right now. Had to before the heat of the day. 1st time shooting without needing coats and gloves.
What a difference a month makes when you're having fun. Shot 5 targets total. Here they are.
.50 Beck by Taylor. .021" denim - almost all shot with LHV & 90gr. 2F  Schutzen.
bottom left target, same power, but with spit and cut at the muzzle. The 4 at 3 o'clock
was the 5th shot, of course. It "felt" like it was with the rest. LOL Haven't shot this rifle for quite a while.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2023, 12:17:50 AM »
Worked on the sights for awhile and then shot this target, .495 with 2f and .018 patch. A special thanks to the cloud of black flies, hope it ends soon!

Online Daryl

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2023, 02:12:53 AM »
Good grouping, Ed. Wish I could do that with a flinter.
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2023, 06:18:57 AM »
Time to post a picture of my May effort (to date).  I shot my Chambers' Virginia .60 cal. with 70 gr. FFg GOEX, .590" ball and .021" denim and water/Ballistol mix lube.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alacran

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2023, 02:12:41 PM »

Good shooting Taylor.
I went out yesterday with my .40. I knew I had some issue with my single set trigger, but I had to shoot it to remember what it was. Also I am shooting high. I will correct the trigger and shoot it again before I make a sight correction. Getz barrel, .40, 50 grains OE, .395 ball, JoAnn's pocket drill.
This was the best target yesterday.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 02:21:45 PM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline PK

• Starting Member
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2023, 05:32:37 PM »
Here’s a few Smoothbore targets:

.62 cal. Fusil de Chasse
.600 RB
.020 patch, spit lube, cut at the muzzle
~80 gr Goex 2F, 2F in the pan

Offline mike445

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2023, 11:31:30 PM »
Sorry for the intrusion fellas but how does one go about getting in on this?

Online Daryl

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2023, 12:43:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Mike. Go to the first post. Read the rules, print some targets, shoot them, photograph them upload to your computer and submit the target(s)using the photo submission icon at the bottom of the reply box.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 12:50:15 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Jakob

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2023, 10:54:33 PM »
Smokey, but otherwise perfect day at the range. Some wind, but straight in and ~17C. So, no excuses.
I was about to look for some after the first target, but then I shot probably the best group I've ever done offhand. This was while chatting to friends, having to wait for other people to put up targets, etc, so seemingly the trick is to get distracted as much as possible?
Most steady aim and trigger pull I've had ever.
Then I had my friend try out a muzzle loader for the first time and promptly put it in *my* target.

First target:

Second target:

Almost hole-in-hole, but I think it's 2 x 10, 1x 9, 1x 8, 1x7, for a 44X.

Offline alacran

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2023, 01:28:39 PM »
No X on this target. Very good shooting Jakob!

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2023, 03:51:24 PM »
Smokey, but otherwise perfect day at the range. Some wind, but straight in and ~17C. So, no excuses.
I was about to look for some after the first target, but then I shot probably the best group I've ever done offhand. This was while chatting to friends, having to wait for other people to put up targets, etc, so seemingly the trick is to get distracted as much as possible?
Most steady aim and trigger pull I've had ever.
Then I had my friend try out a muzzle loader for the first time and promptly put it in *my* target.

First target:

Second target:

Almost hole-in-hole, but I think it's 2 x 10, 1x 9, 1x 8, 1x7, for a 44X.
If you can overlay the second target centered on an unfired one I would appreciate it.  Great shooting.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2023, 10:02:57 PM »
Like this?

Offline Maven

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2023, 10:51:22 PM »
Some darn good targets and quite stiff competition this month.  Permit me to add my meager effort to the May Frolic (below).

Particulars:  I used my Waksupi-built .54cal. Isaac Haines (Chambers) today, but with a .535" RB cast from a Lee Precision mould.  The patch was .011" "Sew Classics" twill (?) I got from Joanne Fabrics for my T/C smoothbore, but it has found other uses (LOL).  Patch lube was 1 Ballistol : 6 water and patches were just shy of dripping. The powder was GOEX?Graf's FFg, 60gr.  Btw, my practice target was one of the NMLRA copies, which is noticeably smaller than the May target, but it's one of the few times I got a 10-X on the former. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 07:16:12 PM by Maven »
Paul W. Brasky

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2023, 11:51:36 PM »
Shot these four today, couldn't find the 10 ring for love nor money. 39 seems to be my number, at least there is that consistency. Will try again.

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2023, 09:43:13 PM »
Shot these two this morning. Not liking the trigger on my schimmel, looks like I'm gonna have to work on it. On the other hand my Lehigh came through with I think a 43. I'll try and do better tomorrow. Hope everyone gets a chance to shoot, only a few days left.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2023, 01:01:13 AM »
I got access to a printer and made the right targets. I feel bad about using a percussion rifle against everyone else shooting flint. I shot my self made Bedford county longrifle. .36 caliber, 42” Green Mountain barrel, 13/16” straight. .350 hand cast ball, 35 grains 3 F old eynesford. .020 denim, 5-1 balistol. Perfect light and wind conditions. I would have a hard time duplicating these two targets. I normally have a flyer in five shots.

https://ibb.co/fdrGNv9
https://ibb.co/k8bf8xN
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 04:34:36 PM by okawbow »
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline JohnB

• Starting Member
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2023, 02:21:26 AM »
Shot from my .54 Lyman GPR that I've assembled from parts over the last 10 years or so. Looks like I've got a 37 or 38 depending on how you score the shot by the 9. Not my best shooting, but I thought I'd throw a target in here. I know I pulled the shots in the 5 and 6 rings off (I felt it just as the shot broke). My load is 85gr of my home made BP, .022 patch lubed with 5:1 water/ballistol, .530 RB. If the weather cooperates, I may get to try again tomorrow.

Offline alacran

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2023, 03:55:37 PM »
Fine shooting Okabow.

Offline Dutch

• Starting Member
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2023, 04:42:23 AM »

I am submitting this target for May - shot offhand, near dark, bad eyes, loud audience - you get the idea

Online Daryl

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2023, 09:28:15 PM »
Nice shooting guys.  Looks like a 46 and a 48 or 49 to me, Okabow.
Daryl

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2023, 12:38:37 AM »
Fine shooting!

Offline okawbow

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2023, 03:14:47 AM »
I just re read Dans post about this match and saw that the distance is supposed to be 25 yards. I shot my targets at 20 yards like the target shows. I withdraw my entry. I’ll try again next month.

Chuck
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2023, 04:43:44 AM »
Dang it Okabow your 48 was, the best but rules are rules I guess. Great shooting.

With this in mind at this time 7:32 MST on the 31st of May Jakob is in the lead with a 46. Unless I missed something.

Good shooting guys.