Author Topic: Question about Horn Staples  (Read 848 times)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Question about Horn Staples
« on: May 05, 2023, 01:18:24 AM »
On some horns, a staple is used for attaching the forward end of the carry strap. Do contemporary builders simply drill a hole and tap in the staple? Does it pass through entirely and peened over on the bottom? And is any glue used as well?
I am unfamiliar with any techniques on this.
Thanks.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Question about Horn Staples
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 02:51:20 PM »
 See if this helps, if not I'll try to explain it better. I do not think neck staples were used to attach a strap, they to me are more like a keeper to keep the strap in place. Some were bent over on the inside but I have always used the "Barb" method and have never had one come out. I've never used glue.

Tim

A couple of the Pix are not very clear but the writeup should explain them.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18938.msg178546#msg178546

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 06:58:58 PM »
Agree with Tim about a neck staple typically being a keeper for a strap which wrapped around the neck. Many originals show evidence (discoloration) where a strap encircled the neck, and went through the staple to hold it in place.  Although I’m sure there were some attached directly to the staple by the new owner if purchased without a strap - (or done that way later, when a strap was replaced), it was not likely the builder’s original intent.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 11:05:36 PM »
 Here are a few Pix of how the staple is offset to turn the tip in or out. Like "Top" said the strap is wrapped around the horn and then through the staple.

Tim

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 03:34:37 AM »
That’s very helpful, thanks. It seemed to me a poor way to attach a strap. A staple as a strap guide seems more appropriate.
I saw a tutorial on YouTube where the guy glued a piece of horn on the top of a flat horn to attach the strap. I just shook my head. But who knows.
Ps., that’s a great collection of horns, Tim!