Author Topic: Ozark Mtn Arms Hawken  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Harleysboss

• Starting Member
Ozark Mtn Arms Hawken
« on: April 10, 2023, 09:35:35 PM »
I've only seen pictures and read up on the history a bit. Can anyone give me some guidance on this brand's collectability?  I know that some of it depends on the wants and needs of the collector/buyer. However, if you had a chance to buy a gently used Ozark Mountain Hawken rifle what would you expect the price range to be in today's market? Would caliber have any effect?  Any guideance would be appreciated.

Offline Longknife

Re: Ozark Mtn Arms Hawken
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 04:12:06 PM »
HB, OMA was a top-of-the-line maker back in the day, using high quality components and assembled one at a time by hand. A set of quality components will set you back $1000 t $1500 today. Two custom Hawkens that looked very nice just sold on GB for $1800. The asking price for the best Italian a Hawken is $1900. A custom Hawken by a noted maker today will set you back over $3000. You have to decide for your self what value you put on the OMA stamp. Note, in my research I found an OMA Hawken on a non-firearm website that sold in 2020 for $400. Well he stole that one!!!! :P
Ed Hamberg

Offline Harleysboss

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 06:51:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing my own internet research and have found prices all over the map. Several have been sold on auction sites going back a few years in the $600-$800 range. Last year I found one that sold for $1200. I'm just trying to make a somewhat informed decision if the OMA Hawken is worth a price tag north of $1000.  I've not found one yet. I came across a thread that had a few pictures of an OMA rifle for sale and the lines of that rifle caught my eye.  You make solid points about parts to build and custom maker prices. I'm not in the market for a current custom build.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 07:28:04 PM »
They're generally very nice plains rifles.  One thing to my mind that will affect value more than anything else is the figure in the wood and the current color of the finish.  Pale blondies are worth less, as are those without vivid figure.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Harleysboss

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 08:48:37 PM »
Thanks for the insight on stock color and figure.  Now to find one!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 10:34:15 PM »
HB, OMA was a top-of-the-line maker back in the day, using high quality components and assembled one at a time by hand. A set of quality components will set you back $1000 t $1500 today. Two custom Hawkens that looked very nice just sold on GB for $1800. The asking price for the best Italian a Hawken is $1900. A custom Hawken by a noted maker today will set you back over $3000. You have to decide for your self what value you put on the OMA stamp. Note, in my research I found an OMA Hawken on a non-firearm website that sold in 2020 for $400. Well he stole that one!!!! :P
[/quote

The last Hawken locks I made were $150 each and some griped about that.I still get private requests about them but at this point in time I have no interest in reviving them.Few if any had a quality lock back in the"day"
when they were still made in St.Louis.
Bob Roller

Offline redwood

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 12:40:53 AM »
   Where are you located?

Offline Harleysboss

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 02:40:19 AM »
Western Wa. 

Offline Gtrubicon

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2023, 05:54:22 PM »
There’s a very nice Ozark rifle listed at Track of the Wolf.

Offline Harleysboss

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 09:23:21 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I do believe I held that particular rifle. Found it locally for sale. Met the seller and looked her over. Very nice rifle indeed. I ultimately passed on it. We could not agree on the price. 

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2023, 10:47:33 PM »
I have one I purchased years ago that was put together from one of their kits they offered. Great gun but whoever assembled it lacked skills. I since restocked it and it’s s great gun. I especially like the full buckhorn rear sight

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2023, 10:49:49 PM »