Author Topic: Mini horn  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Dan Herda

Mini horn
« on: May 13, 2023, 09:55:15 PM »
I bought this at the same estate sale as the Lancaster horn. The tip is obviously new but the horn itself I would like opinions on. It’s the smallest I’ve ever come across so couldn’t pass it up.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Mini horn
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 10:21:25 PM »
 Neat little horn, could have been a horn for a small cal. rifle. The fact that it has a staple and a carved area at the neck for a strap make me think it was carried rather than being a pocket or bag horn but we'll never know for sure.
 How about a shot of the butt and staple, are those Brass tacks?

Thanks, Tim

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 11:20:01 PM »
Dan, that is really neat!

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 11:50:02 PM »
Neat little horn, could have been a horn for a small cal. rifle. The fact that it has a staple and a carved area at the neck for a strap make me think it was carried rather than being a pocket or bag horn but we'll never know for sure.
 How about a shot of the butt and staple, are those Brass tacks?

Thanks, Tim

I’ll get to that after work tonight

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 04:15:44 AM »
That horn is so small, it probably needed a string on it just to find it and pull it out of the bag!

Shelby Gallien

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 10:13:11 AM »
Four pins non magnetic.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 03:20:53 PM »
  Thanks, that looks like a modern shaped eye screw in the end but the wire at the tip looks old and I have seen others with a twisted wire on them at the neck for a single strap.

Tim

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2023, 07:34:02 PM »
It could be either a little salt horn or a primer for a flinter.  For a .25 or .32 cal rifle, it could be a pocket horn for a day hunt.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 12:40:40 AM »
That's a neat little horn.

It might have been a cap horn.  Old-time percussion caps were susceptible to damage from wetting, and a good horn will be airtight.  Also, if the lid of a cap tin gets a little rusty and sticks, and you pull with too much force, you can spill caps.  This is less likely to happen if the caps are stored in a horn like that.  During the percussion era, people used a lot of ingenuity in designing cap-holders, often affixed to the strap of the shot pouch, which would keep a small number of caps readily accessible.  The cap horn would be used more for storage or protection of a larger quantity.

My dad (born in 1907) grew up shooting muzzleloaders.  He liked carrying his caps in a cap horn instead of a tin, and he made several very similar to that one.

Thanks for showing that cool little accessory!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 06:34:47 PM »
Measurements of this horn are
3” around outside curve
Base plug is 1 1/4” x 13/16
ID of spout hole is .180
I measured a caps od and it is exactly .180 but turn and measure corner to corner its .220.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 07:43:02 PM »
Seems to me that N Bob has nailed it; a cap horn. Great container for caps and as mentioned, you get a controlled access to the contents. No spilling them all over the place, especially when you really need one. Have seen others that still had the contents intact. Neat items! Dan, you did it again! Thank you for showing it here. We all have enjoyed seeing it and having the opportunity to discuss a rarely spoken of subject.
Dick

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 10:26:55 PM »
  I would think .180 is pretty small being less than 3/16"  to have caps roll out easily with out getting jammed up but anything is possible. Is there any carbon stain in the hole?

Tim

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 10:05:36 AM »
Dirty lite grayish but yesterday when I measured it, I lightly tapped it on my bench and did get two powder flakes and some dust out.
It is what it is.
Fits nicely in a shirt pocket, even better before thong or eye screw I think.

Offline Rodd.Boyer

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2023, 02:02:54 PM »
I have one about that same size...

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2023, 03:29:05 PM »
Dan, I have a tiny horn similar to that I use it for a primer

Offline TDM

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2023, 07:39:07 AM »
That's a neat little horn.

It might have been a cap horn.  Old-time percussion caps were susceptible to damage from wetting, and a good horn will be airtight.  Also, if the lid of a cap tin gets a little rusty and sticks, and you pull with too much force, you can spill caps.  This is less likely to happen if the caps are stored in a horn like that.  During the percussion era, people used a lot of ingenuity in designing cap-holders, often affixed to the strap of the shot pouch, which would keep a small number of caps readily accessible.  The cap horn would be used more for storage or protection of a larger quantity.

My dad (born in 1907) grew up shooting muzzleloaders.  He liked carrying his caps in a cap horn instead of a tin, and he made several very similar to that one.

Thanks for showing that cool little accessory!

Notchy Bob

Agree with Notchy Bob. It’s a neat little horn.