Author Topic: First Plank Build  (Read 1701 times)

Offline RMann

First Plank Build
« on: May 19, 2023, 06:47:31 PM »
After getting my feet wet through a kit, I found this forum and took the challenge to build a S. Mt. Flintlock.  I like the simplicity for a first build, and the many existing variations gave me the confidence to build one, even taking some creative license.  Randal Pierce's "Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mts." and Dave Byrd's Gunmakers of Buffalo Valley and Greasy Cove" informed my eyes, and Buchel, Shumway, and Alexander directed my hands.  Details: Ohio maple plank, .40 cal. swamped Colerain barrel, Chambers Late Ketland lock, N.C. buttplate/TG, trigger assembly and sights from Jack Garner, and lock washers and toe plate by me. (Don't blame Jack for the colonial single trigger, as that was my style choice... I know, chalk it up to S.Mt. exceptions.)  The maple plank was given to me by an Amish friend, since the figure was rather light, and he thought it would be a good starter for me.  Y'alls input through this forum has been invaluable, so many thanks.  I should add I used LMF browning, Iron Nitrate, and Sutherland Wells polymerized tung oil.  (I have used that SW finish on countless wood bowls for over 20 years, and find it tops!)  I built this rifle 2 winters ago, just getting around to posting, with my wife's help...  My grandkids love BP shooting, and one grandson is included here.   

remove duplicated
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 08:27:46 PM by RMann »

Offline HSmithTX

Re: First Plank Build
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 09:56:49 PM »
The quality of the work done is apparent,  very nice looking rifle!!

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 10:40:37 PM »
Well Done!!

Cory Joe

Offline scotti

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 10:58:03 PM »
Great job.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 03:05:29 AM »
Nice rifle!!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline brushyspoons

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 03:57:50 AM »
Fantastic rifle! What does the barrel tang look like?
Phil A.

Offline Algae

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 04:10:39 AM »
Very nice!! My first one didn't look like that!

Al Jenkins

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 04:16:23 AM »
Definitely very well done. I like every thing about it. Keep at it bro.
Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline RMann

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 03:09:33 PM »
Thanks for all the good words.  This forum feeds creativity, problem is it is addictive, and has lead me into many firsts: my first deer kill, tanning, pouch sewing, knife/sheath/horn making, and basic metal work.  And all that is a good influence on my grandkids too.  Sorry Phil I missed the tang perspective and am ridiculously limited in all things computer... so I'll just explain I was not confident in inletting a long tang.  So I just rounded a 2-1/2"  flared tang into a thumbnail shape matching the trigger guard ends, and reflecting the frizzen shape when viewed from the top.

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 03:25:35 PM »
I hear ya on the addictive side. I put together a chambers Fowler then had to have a horn so tried my hand at that. The flint wallets, shot pouch and other odd and ends. Now I have a maple blank from Allen Martin sitting a Dave Kecks waiting on my 46 in golden age rice barrel in .54 cal to get there to be inlet and profiled. Going to try my hand at a York for a deer rifle. You made a beautiful rifle there. Keep up the good work.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 04:22:26 PM »
I have inlet many tangs over my years as a builder and I still get queasy thinking about inletting a long southern tang especially one that goes over the comb. Looking at the rest of your build it appears that you have the skills so just go slow and I believe you can do it. Very nice work, thanks for sharing it with us.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2023, 04:33:40 PM »
Looks very well done to me. I like the clean lines on this southern rifle.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2023, 09:48:27 PM »
Looks to me like you've done a fine job. Thanks for posting it. Keep up the good work.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2023, 01:58:38 AM »
That's pretty darned nice for your first plank build.  Very well done.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 08:37:07 PM »
I think kids should be taught the correct way to handle firearms at a young age by responsible adults not by video games. I started with a BB gun then with my dad's shotgun then a .22 single shot rifle then a muzzle loader then a center fire rifle and finally a handgun. My dad taught my brother and I how to treat firearms with care and the dangers of improper handling and discharge of same.

VERY NICE rifle by the way :) ;) 8)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline RMann

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 03:48:38 AM »
Thanks for looking, and so many of your names are familiar as your posts have helped me along the way!  And PW, I learned similarly from my dad, and am teaching my grandsons (and one grandaughter too) in the same way. (That would be a good thread, gun/hunting/life lessons learned from our dad or grandpas)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2023, 08:34:15 PM »
That SMR build is great and I like it.  You obviously have the talent and only needed to add experience.  The rifle's lines are lovely.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline hudson

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2023, 03:06:55 PM »
Nice love the clean lines.