Author Topic: Help identifying please!  (Read 964 times)

Offline Benburroughs93

• Starting Member
Help identifying please!
« on: May 25, 2023, 03:00:41 PM »
I don’t really know Much about the older muzzle loaders and recently a family member of mine passed away and left me a few rifles. One I’m having a hard time figuring out what it even is. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Help identifying please!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 04:25:20 PM »
Not seeing the pix.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 09:40:55 PM »
I get “This page does not exist”.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 10:18:57 PM »
I see a nice half stock cap lock rifle. What caliber is it I wonder
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Benburroughs93

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 10:28:25 PM »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 01:09:52 AM »
I see the 2 photos now.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 01:22:19 AM »
You have a nice looking rifle that appears to be in good condition. It's a later half-stocked gun from around 1845-1855.

important question... is there a name or initials stamped or engraved on the top barrel flat several inches behind the rear sight? If so, that's the most important detail on the rifle to identify its maker and origin. Without seeing a couple more details on the rifle, I'll make the following comments knowing a few more good photos may prove me wrong:

1) the wood panel, or side facing, that the percussion lock sits in, has a slight point on the front end, that often suggests a gun from below the Ohio River,
2) walnut stocks were used widely with half-stocked rifles, but they also hint at a possible southern origin below the Ohio River,
3) the nose cap set several inches past the rear ramrod pipe is another detail that hints at a possible southern origin.

Can you provide a few more good pictures of details on this rifle? If so, we may be able to locate it better for you. We'd like to see the following:
1) any trace of a name of initials on the top barrel flat several inches behind the rear sight,
2) the full tang, the piece of metal behind the barrel with a bolt or screws that anchor it to the stock,
3) the back side of the rifle, showing the full butt and out to about 6" past where the lock is on the other side. Seeing the shape of the cheekpiece, and the lock bolt washer, can help identify guns as well.

Hope to see a couple more pictures of this nice looking rifle, so we can help you more.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 06:16:53 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Benburroughs93

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 12:13:42 AM »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 04:32:42 AM »
Your additional pictures are good and clear. The long "two-screw" tang is a southern detail, but I have not seen this exact shape before, where the edges are beveled for about the last half of its length... a neat detail. The large, hexagonal side lug for the percussion nipple is also rather unique. This rifle, without a signed barrel [at least I can't see anything there] will be difficult to locate accurately.

I think the long tang with two screws really makes it a "southern" rifle, but that doesn't narrow it down much. My best guess, based on the pointed side facings, long 2-screw tang, walnut stock with very straight comb and toe lines, and abrupt break where comb meets wrist, is that this rifle is most likely a product of the Appalachian "hill country" area where western NC, southeastern KY, and northeast TN converge. I'd also think, based on the small size and shallow "beaver tail" shape of the cheekpiece, and the thinness of the butt with long heel extension, that the rifle may be a little later than I originally thought, perhaps the 1860s. It's a nice, clean rifle with some interesting details, and hopefully a similar rifle with a name or initials on the barrel will show up in the future to help us identify this one. Perhaps another member here has seen a similar rifle or can provide more insight into this rifle.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 04:37:11 AM by Tanselman »