Author Topic: Steel patchbox finish on/off gun  (Read 666 times)

Offline HighUintas

Steel patchbox finish on/off gun
« on: May 22, 2023, 06:17:40 AM »
Hi, I'm getting close to the point of being ready to do the finish work on my stock. Whether or not I start on the stock depends on if I finish the steel patchbox on or off the rifle.

It will be in the white, sanded to about 320 or maybe 400, then blended with maroon scotch Brite.

What are people's preference for doing this, on or off the stock? I'm guessing the method most commonly accepted as correct would be on the stock.

Offline flehto

Re: Steel patchbox finish on/off gun
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 03:50:42 PM »
I always filed the Pbox flush w/ the stock after fully inletting but finished the Pbox off the LR, Never had any problems putting  the Pbox on or taking it  out of the inlet.....because of the ample  draft on the Pbox edges. The Pbox was not a tight fit in it's inlet but there weren't any gaps. For the filing, some old flat head screws that had heads below the Pbox surfaces were used.......Fred
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 04:13:35 PM by flehto »

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 03:10:21 AM »
Thanks for the response, Fred.

What I was intending to ask, was the actual finishing of the patch box.. the sanding, stoning, or whatever method a person would use. I did file down the patch box and side plates flush to the wood with some cheapo wood screws first, and have been working on polishing the patch box off the gun the last couple of days. It is good to hear a good gun builder uses the same approach.

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 04:04:19 PM »
First 220 grit paper anf then 320 grit. The final  rub down was w/ 0000 steel wool...it was then browned. .....Fred
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 04:17:37 PM by flehto »