Author Topic: L. H. Harison  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
L. H. Harison
« on: August 19, 2023, 06:36:34 PM »
Looking for information on the builder of this rifle. It’s marked L. H. Harison. The stock is amazing. Barrel is about 38 inches long. Owner purchased it in Nashville. Believes the builder was from that area. Anyone familiar with this builder? This is the only photo I have.

"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Stoner creek

Re: L. H. Harison
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 06:39:27 PM »
Houston Harrison from the Nashville area. He was a world class maker. Passed away 20 years ago.
 You can learn more about him by going to the Contemporary Makers Blogspot and searching Houston Harrison in the top left corner in the search box.
W
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 08:22:09 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 05:14:06 AM »
An ABSOLUTE artist and multi talented individual.  I have a southern 25 cal he made for Don Stith which we purchased from Don.  It is signed but also "inscribed" to Don on a leather insert in the patch box.  Don said he also made or repaired wooden instruments for the Grand Ole Opry. I recently saw a drawing he did in one of the Moravian books with a notation that he was commissioned to make a series of drawings of that gun.  Don only parted with it as he knew his time was short.  I have never seen another gun by him.  He is pictured in the photo on the far right.  (Name spelled "Harrison")

MAS

« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 05:20:30 AM by Molly »

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 06:43:21 AM »
Houston Harrison rifles were top notch in my time. Certainly well recognized nationally.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 05:46:42 PM »
Lots of familiar faces in that photo.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline dadybear1

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 08:52:22 PM »
BEAUTIFUL RIFLE---THANKS FOR POSTING!!!! JEFF in TEXAS

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 08:30:30 PM »
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 10:01:47 PM »
I have to ask, what are the 3-4 enormous rifle/shotguns on the left side of the pic?  I might need one of those.....

Offline johngross

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 05:41:08 AM »
I have to ask, what are the 3-4 enormous rifle/shotguns on the left side of the pic?  I might need one of those.....

Not my area of expertise but I believe they are known as Chunk Guns. I guess the name comes from them being so heavy (20-30 pounds?) you don't shoot it offhand but lay the barrel across a big chunk of wood.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 05:49:04 AM »
Thank you all for the information. I’ll pass this on the the lady who owns the rifle.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 02:49:22 PM »
A better idea would be to pass along a check and make that rifle yours!