Author Topic: Painting a horn?  (Read 501 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Painting a horn?
« on: May 25, 2023, 03:30:51 PM »
I'd like to try my hand at painting a horn as opposed to scrimming it. The horn is very slick and extremely hard and I think that cutting a line would be disastrous so inking any kind of decoration is questionable....so I'm thinking of painting something interesting.

What kind of paint do I use? What kind of prep work should I do (roughing the surface for a better tooth?)....hoping that Tim chimes in here.....

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Painting a horn?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 08:25:45 PM »
 John, here is a link see if it helps:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=44302.msg433588#msg433588

When Carla paints them she uses an acrylic gouache 1/2 Water color 1/2 acrylic with a sealer over it. The base is done with Milk Paint as above. I have also used Flat Black Valspar with good results. If you want to know more about that let me know.
 Robby was telling me about some colored India Inks, Dr. Ph Martin's, he is trying out he can add more on them but it sounds promising. I am waiting to see how his work comes out before I try them hopefully getting some tips so I don't have to start from square one.

Tim

And the all Milk paint, like the one you have:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:30:40 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 08:46:47 PM »
Where do you get milk paint from? Is Carla using the watercolor to thin the gouache so it paints like a gouache?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 11:59:26 PM »
Where do you get milk paint from? Is Carla using the watercolor to thin the gouache so it paints like a gouache?

I am using a powdered Milk Paint called "Old Fashioned Milk Paint", I got it on line.
 Carla did a write-up for you on the gouache:

I use Acryl Gouache either by Holbein or by Turner

I lay down the base color with little to no water to thin it I use a filbert brush

Shading is added with a side loaded brush you can thin  with a little water  if needed.

Strokework is thinned enough to make it flow and applied with a round #2 brush I use Kolinski Sable. A less expensive brush would be a Princeton elite.

Regular gouache can be used but it never totally dries so a sealer has to be used after the painting is dried usually I let it dry overnight. Acryl is permanent and color can be added over it without it mixing with the base color.

I seal with Krylon UA Archival varnish in 1378 Matte

Hope this is clear..; good luck with your painting!!!

Carla

To bad your not closer but if you have any questions just send them.

Tim

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 12:58:20 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for the imput!