Author Topic: Ramrod hole drill  (Read 3137 times)

Offline runastav

Ramrod hole drill
« on: May 26, 2023, 05:57:51 PM »
Hi all!
This teknik is well known but I can show my drill made today  ;)5mm rod filed as a longhole drill, hardened and aneled work like $#*! on this forestock to a Rolling Block rifle drill straight like a arrow :)
Runar

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Ramrod hole drill
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 07:32:22 AM »
i believe I need one of those, Runar!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 02:24:30 PM »
Can you show s picture of the face of the drill point? Was the groove ground in?
Andover, Vermont

Offline runastav

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 04:11:39 PM »
Thank you guys!rich pierce, the groove is handgrind all made only by eye target no mesuring angle etc but it works ;)It fills up quickly with shawings so often withdraw!
Runar

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 06:37:57 PM »
Thank you!
Andover, Vermont

Offline cornbread

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 08:49:41 PM »
Now THAT is a good idea/tool! If you made these, I'D BUY ONE! Just sayin'!!!  ::)

I wish there was a drill bit(s) for this purpose that was threaded (male or female) on the non-business end for a ramrod. Then, choke that in a drill and get to work!
I need one for this purpose.

Thanks for sharing that and making me jealous!

James

Offline Spalding

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 12:52:50 AM »
Runar, it works!
I’m building a little .29 caliber rifle and wanted a 9/32” ramrod instead of just going with a 1/4” like most do. Bought a length of 9/32” O-1 drill rod and after a few days of bouncing around ideas, decided to go with your design and ground a tip on the rod.
Was slow going, maybe a 1/4” at a time to clear chips, but got it done. Drilled straight, side to side came out perfect, wandered down a bit, about a 1/32” at the breech, probably caused by ramrod channel not being perfect, but I’m very happy with how it came out.
Whittled down a 5/16” Hickory ramrod to 9/32” and it’s good to go.

Bob

Offline SDH

• Starting Member
    • Fine Gunmaking
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 03:41:13 AM »
Two views of a 3/8"ramrod drill I made 30 years ago from O-1 drill rod soldered to a longer rod making it long enough for a 44" barrel. Simply a quarter flute milled on the end of the rod in a milling machine. The cutting edge is perpendicular to the rod and the flat is stoned sharp. I made both 3/8" and 7/16 for the types of larger caliber guns I was making at the time. Since I switched over to crafting cartridge gun I use them for drilling through bolt holes for half stock rifles. I generally drill halfway from each end. If my layout and drill starting is carefully done the hole comes out center to center. The flat bit centers itself. Single shot holes are drilled on the lathe between centers.

For longrifles I would mill or hand cut the groove in the long forestock as a guide or for half stocks use the thimbles and under-rib to guide the drill. Drill a short distance and clear the chips often.