Author Topic: Seeking Photos of an original Virginia Bag  (Read 994 times)

Offline Molly

Seeking Photos of an original Virginia Bag
« on: May 27, 2023, 12:33:00 AM »
I would like to see any photos of an original Virginia bag from the center of the Virginia universe of gun making...."The Shenandoah Valley".  If you have one send it  PM.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Re: Seeking Photos of an original Virginia Bag
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 03:32:32 AM »
Molly, this is a thread about a bag that own that was found in Hardy County, West Virginia, which is just west of the Shenandoah Valley. Hope this helps.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=60027.msg601149#msg601149

Dale H

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 03:43:10 PM »
 Mark Elliott used to make a nice Va. bag copied from one Wallace had or did a write-up on. Here is a link to one and you can do a search on Mark Elliott subject Virginia bags, there are a couple more posts. There is also a link to Mark's web site with some more Pix.
 One of Jim Webb's books may be worth looking through.   

Tim

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=55049.msg550689#msg550689

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 08:41:16 PM »
Great info....THANKS!!

mas

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 05:50:02 AM »
Molly,

Coincidentally, I just ran across a Virginia pouch and horn for sale on an auction site today:  Virginia Pouch, Horn, and Accoutrements.

They don't give you much information, really, but I found the same outfit listed on a totally different website, with additional pictures:  Southwest Virginia Hunting Pouch, Horn, and Related Accoutrements.  You may need to scroll down a little way to find it.

That first link has pretty good photos which you can click and enlarge.  The photos in the second link are turned sideways or upside down, which is a little disconcerting, but they are clear, and you may be able to copy, save, and rotate them.  Using photos from both of these websites, I think you can get a pretty good idea of how this pouch looks and how it was put together.  That second link also has a better written description, and states in part, "A rare find recently sold from a prominent collection in the Shenandoah Valley is this wonderful Virginia Hunting Bag that, according to its provenance, was found in Bedford County, Virginia. Bedford County is just east of the Shenandoah south of Lynchburg and north of Roanoke.

The bag appears to be of commercial leather, but with a large, hair-on deerskin flap and a strap of some kind of fabric or webbing.  The powder horn has an unusual bulbous spout, with a fiddle peg stopper.  The accoutrements which accompany the pouch and horn include a pliers-type bullet mould, a fork (!) with a bone handle, and a .32 cartridge case which evidently served as a powder measure.

I don't know how old it is, and I don't know if the fiddle peg is original or a later repalcement.  I will leave that to the experts.  Interestingly, the horn is set up for left-side carry, but I think it may have been re-attached to the pouch at some point.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline backsplash75

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 11:59:35 PM »

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 12:10:42 AM by backsplash75 »