Author Topic: Late Sheetz Christmas Tree Stock Rifle  (Read 802 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Late Sheetz Christmas Tree Stock Rifle
« on: May 29, 2023, 02:51:53 PM »
Well here is that storied Christmas Tree stock I picked up from an old club member's widow.  Had sat in a closet for 20 years, shaped out by Fred Miller as a late Sheetz (?), way too many of the decisions were made for my taste but I found a home for it so went ahead.  Percussion, ugh.  Left handed, ugh.  Side plate was already inlet and not what I would have chosen, but too much wood taken off already to change to a later style.  .54 Colerain C weight swamped, Siler lock.  Did have to swap buttplates and take off some length from what had been done.  Tannic acid, Aquafortis, Chambers oil finish.  Was neat to finally get a chance to do a gun with this stock wood I'd heard so much about, great curl.  Headed to a pal now in CO, should be elk hunting this fall.  He liked the late Sheetz, western VA or WV area/era simple style, but I have to admit that I had to keep telling myself to keep this one simple and appropriate to that theme.

"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline stuart cee dub

Re: Late Sheetz Christmas Tree Stock Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 05:12:56 PM »
Stunning piece of wood .Nice clean even sleek build . My cousin is a left eye dominant shooter and refuses to shoot flint. Mike Compton in IA built him something very similar using the same percussion lock but his wood wasn't even close to the wood on this rifle .There are lefties out there who would proudly own such a rifle and never look back . 

Offline Bob Rearley

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 01:51:45 AM »
Beautiful finish.  Would you mind sharing the "Christmas Tree" story?  What is it ,other than the side plate that makes this a Sheetz gun?
Thanks, Bob

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 10:19:28 PM »
Beautiful finish.  Would you mind sharing the "Christmas Tree" story?  What is it ,other than the side plate that makes this a Sheetz gun?
Thanks, Bob

Here's the story..https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=76642.0
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Bob Rearley

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 02:42:00 AM »
A rare find for sure and a great story.
Thanks, Bob