Author Topic: Pan location  (Read 722 times)

Offline Maurice

Pan location
« on: May 31, 2023, 03:41:09 AM »
Looks like the pan ended up too high relative to my proposed liner location on my lock inlet.

My plan was to install a 5/16” white lightning liner. The barrel flat is .422” at the vertical cross hairs on the flat. The horizontal cross hair is centered in the flat.
If I drill the 5/16” touch hole centered on the cross hairs it seems like the hole will be too low in the pan. If I move the 5/16” liner up a little on the vertical axis the radius of the liner could exceed the top of the barrel flat with the countersink.

Would installing a 1/4” white lightning liner a little higher on the vertical axis be a better solution? How about also filing down the pan along the pan’s radius beneath the touch hole.

Suggestions or comments? Really do not want to cover the touch hole with powder. Do I even have a problem?

Offline okawbow

Re: Pan location
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 05:17:44 AM »
I think it will work ok as is. I have a rifle that has a low vent hole and the hole is covered by priming powder when I fill the pan for hunting. Goes off super fast and very dependable. You can always grind the pan deeper.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 07:59:56 AM »
Looks good to me as well.  Leave your liner location as is, and if in doubt grind the pan a bit deeper.  I generally grind them deeper just to allow for more powder...

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 08:32:56 AM »
Looks just right.  ;)  The whole touch-hole-must-be-way-high-so-the-powder-flash-can-burn-up-not-down thing is, frankly, bunk.  I would say  your cross hairs are in the perfect position for the touch hole.

Those British style pans don't give you much room to play anyway.  They are deeper on the outside and kind of funnel themselves up to the touch hole.  And you don't really  want it any higher, since you can risk getting it to where it is not completely covered by the frizzen when closed.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 03:04:49 PM »
Looks good to me as well.  Leave your liner location as is, and if in doubt grind the pan a bit deeper.  I generally grind them deeper just to allow for more powder...

Curtis

Great solution here. You’ll worry if you don’t do some accommodation. I agree with those who say it will fire fine as is. True, until things get muddy. I feel that when I do woods walks in high humidity or hunt in the drizzle, a low pan is not optimal.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 05:52:11 PM »
I would suggest that on your next build you inlet the lock lower which will eliminate some of your concerns
Kevin

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 06:43:04 PM »
I had a similar situation on one of my builds.  I went ahead and centered the liner at the better sunset location.  The top of my liner was a little out in the air but I just peened it down to the flat flush and everything looks and works fine.  If I can get time I will send a photo?

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 08:30:51 PM »
As others have said, the consensus seems to be no real problem here. On another note, I always install quarter inch touch hole liners that seem to work fine. I’ve never seen the need for the larger ones.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 09:16:42 PM »
Pletch's timed ignition testing showed that when powder covered the vent, ignition was faster. I don't even worry about it,  I fill the pan EVERY time.
Nice ignition, every time. All of the vents on my rifles, end up being covered with priming powder.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 12:13:17 AM »
You don't have an issue that will bother function.  I do see the lock is inletted to high and or it is tilted up in the front.  That puts the part of the locks that should match the top of the stock to high.  That is an aesthetic problem.  I also see the barrel is not fully inletted.  That makes it a little worse.    I would file down the part of the lock in front of the pan to blend with the stock.  Do no file into the screw hole.  IF you end up with the flash hole covered by part of the pan, deepen the pan.  In the future make the top edge of the pan and the foreword part of the lock match the stock line.  Do that before you scribe for the plate outline. 

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 12:19:41 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 01:04:52 AM »
I would fill in the upper part of the lock mortise and re inlet it properly. With the way it is currently, it may cause other issues with triggers etc..

Not sure exactly with gun your building, but pictures of finished guns are extremely helpful in the building process.     

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 01:08:07 AM by Mule Brain »
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/