Author Topic: mountain rifle flash hole location  (Read 893 times)

Offline yip

mountain rifle flash hole location
« on: May 31, 2023, 03:20:10 PM »
   what do guys think of this K.M.R. location? not what i expect,  just a little low.  the flash hole came to me already installed,

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 03:39:02 PM by yip »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: mountain rifle flash hole location
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 04:31:10 PM »
Grind the pan deeper as in another post here.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 05:09:50 PM »
Do nothing.  I say this over and over.  This is how they are intended to be.  They are not low by our standard.  The idea that it needs to be at the "sunset" position is total BS.  Try it exactly like it is and I think you'll see.

Jim

Offline yip

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 08:25:38 PM »
  sorry Jim; i thought it might be a little low,

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 01:22:40 AM »
I agree with JK....just Choot it!
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 05:44:15 AM »
   Don't worry about it now. Finish it and take it out and shoot it see how it does. If your having an ignition problem then grind the pan out a 1/16. The second rifle I ever built in 1975 had a touch hole that set low in the pan and it was fast. But the hot flame coming out the touch hole cut a small groove in the pan over time.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline deerstalkert

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 07:12:15 PM »
i have rifles with the touch holes in just about every position of a clock. they all are very reliable with good dry prime and good flint.
for years i was hung up on the sunset position but time has changed my thinking.
that said, when i am drilling a touch hole or installing a liner, just for continuity i place the hole at the sunset position. this usually puts it centered on a flat.
just my 2 cents.

i have acquired several very nice barrels cheap because of this. a builder gets the barrel and freaks out on the vent placement. so i guess i should help perpetuate this preception! ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 07:16:24 PM by deerstalkert »

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 10:02:07 PM »
It is in the place it should be. Finish the gun and shoot is as is. If you feel later that it needs to be altered.
For shucks and grins I grabbed a half dozen off the rack and compared them to your picture. They are all about the same as yours.
In my humble opinion the fast ignition time we all strive for is based on the quality, workmanship, and finish polishing of the lock. Jim's are as good or better than most. Never seen a Kibler that didn't have very fast and reliable ignition times. Just the observations of an old man. Thake it for what it's worth.
"Muskrat" Mike
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 10:13:41 PM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 04:04:53 AM »
This subject has come up before.  Out of curiosity I checked out the flintlocks in the Winchester Firearms Museum to see where their touchholes were located.  The originals show touchholes located at the sunset position and the center of the touchhole even with the flat edge of the pan.  A double barrel flint shotgun by Manton, a rather well-known builder, showed the touchholes lined up with the edge of the waterproof pans.  I guess the debate has raged for hundreds of years?