Author Topic: Bag, horn and etc.  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Molly

Bag, horn and etc.
« on: June 03, 2023, 01:48:03 AM »
Personally, this is as good as it gets.

Bag, horn, original stopper, priming horn, ball mold (32 cal), small bag of 32 cal ball, uncut patch material as well as a strip of cut material, patch cutter, compass pick and a small quantity of tow.

From a personal collection out of Luray, VA, Page County in the historically rich Shenandoah Valley.

Offline AZshot

Re: Bag, horn and etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 02:43:04 AM »
That's an amazing kit.  Imagine the man that carried it, what he saw, what he shot at.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 02:49:13 PM »
 What a find, Very neat kit, looks like you answered your own question. Could the small horn be a cap horn? How about a couple extra Pix of the horn, tip/neck and base?

Thanks, Tim

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 03:40:18 PM »
I can post additional photos soon.  Cap horn??  Never knew of such a thing but it does have a rather large opening and there was no stopper, so maybe that's correct.  That's really novel!

Yes, AZ, we thought about the places, people and uses a lot yesterday.  Thought about the last time it was used and that all the items were put inside for another day of hunting that never came.  Looked at the full moon as we went to bed.  The same sight that the owner viewed during his/her time.  Being able to have something like this is a privilege far too many people today simply cannot comprehend. Not really expensive but worth it's weight in gold as to sentiments that emerge from one's imagination.

MAS

Offline JBJ

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 04:36:27 PM »
What a fantastic assemblage! Simple and functional yet elegant in it's own right. As I studied the picture, there were so many details that came to light. For instance, the arch punch has been used a LOT and I found it interesting that no attempt was made to maximize the number of patches cut from that strip of ticking. Apparently he had plenty of ticking.  I really appreciated the clean utilitarian lines of the powder horn and pouch. I believe that Tim is right on target about the little horn being a cap horn. I wonder if the pick is a carry over from the flintlock period or did the nipple on the owners rifle really have a large flash channel; it's possible. I would posit that the owner at times rambled far enough from home that he found it prudent to have a small compass in his pouch. Great stuff and thanks Molly.

J.B.

Offline Molly

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 05:47:05 PM »
More photos.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 07:49:01 PM »
 Thanks for the extra Pix. From the size of the opening in the small horn I would say is is a cap horn or maybe at one time used to carry the .32 cal balls, will one fit? I think caps are the answer since there is a bag for the balls but things change.

Tim

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 07:57:49 PM »
The hole is too small for the ball but a cap....YES!

MAS

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 05:38:48 AM »
If we want to make it a puzzle let's add that the owner originally carried a flintlock and the small horn was a priming horn.  THEN, along came the new cap-locks, so he converted and cut the end off the priming horn to serve as a cap horn.   ::)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 06:43:05 AM »
I really enjoy seeing this set. It's kind of a breath of fresh air for me, since so many VA and other collectors in different states want to find only the more exotic horns and bags with "different" details used "only in their state," like bone tipped horns from VA, or raised rings, or special plug and spout shapes. This set is what I would really expect to see much of the time, just a very nice, well-made bag with standard form horn, that I bet a lot of Virginians carried. It's a great set to see with all its supporting cast.

Shelby Gallien

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 03:16:54 PM »
Thanks for sharing this fine set with us, Molly.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 02:12:13 PM »
Wonderful piece of VA history, great find,
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TDM

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2023, 01:49:46 AM »
Truly an outstanding collection! Best I’ve seen.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2023, 05:50:03 AM »
Really pretty and neat kit.

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2023, 02:35:56 AM »
Very nice, like how the strap is attached to the horn
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2023, 04:26:01 AM »
I can post additional photos soon.  Cap horn??  Never knew of such a thing but it does have a rather large opening and there was no stopper, so maybe that's correct.  That's really novel!

MAS
I had never known of such a thing as a cap horn either, until I purchased Earl Cureton's horn business back in 1992.  That was one of the items in his product list.  I kept them in the rotation for a couple of years, but evidently nobody else was terribly excited about them, as I only sold a few, so I dropped them from the catalog.
IIRC, the opening on the tip was about 5/16" and it did utilize a wooden stopper.  Honestly, I made so few that I do not recall just what size drill I used.  Duh... :o :o ???
John (Bigsmoke)

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2023, 03:20:28 AM »
Molly,

That's an awesome find.  Thanks for sharing.
Kunk

Offline JSMOSBY

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2023, 02:32:46 PM »
Cap horn = salt horn (small)?  Not common but they're out there.  I have no idea why it would be in the bag if original to the group.  I do have one in my collection just go with other eating utensils, etc.