Author Topic: A story about a gun that went home.  (Read 6785 times)

holzwurm

A story about a gun that went home.
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
Many of you will recall a couple of months ago that I wrote here about a signed Schuetzen style rifle I picked up for a pittance at an auction.  The rifle was in very nice condition, except for the missing palm rest and a ram rod, and I posted here looking for any possible info about the maker F. Jeannet.   Someone posted that Le Locle was a town in Switzerland near the French border. As it turned out the town still exists as a fairly large community now which also has a unique history museum which can be seen on this web site  www.lesmoulins.ch .

After I found the museum there was an exchange of emails and photographs with the curator of the museum. It turns out, she replied, that there are local history, tax and census records which listed F. Jeannet as living and working there as a gun maker at least during 1850 when we suspected the rifle had been made.  As a matter of fact, she wrote, the museum owned one of the pistols signed by Jeannet.

Now the fun part: After some thought I decided that the rifle would be more appreciated and exposed to the public while adding to local color in that museum next to that pistol than it ever would sitting in my basement in the corner.  So I offered the museum that if they would pay for the shipping I would gift the rifle to them to add to the collection. They quickly agreed and I set about trying to find someone who would transport the rifle to Switzerland. UPS, DHL and FedEx were a waste of time. Whenever you say rifle they shut down their brains and there's no use trying to explain that the item is a 150 year old antique.  Finally I sent a note to the Smithsonian Museum and got a reply that there was a company called Masterpiece LLC” whose sole reason for being in business is to ship works of art around the world.  Shipping problem solved. After a few emails and some coordination with a custom agent in Geneva I built a crate, the rifle was picked up and delivered to Denver for a flight to Switzerland.

I am now a friend for life of the museum and the town. I'm sure that if I were ever to go there I would be feted graciously and offered a free meal or two.   But, the story doesn't end here.

I got an e-mail this morning from Caroline, the lady with whom I have been corresponding and who is the curator of the museum. She was speaking to how beautiful the rifle was and how solidly built the crate turned out. Then she related that she was very familiar with the museum's current public display but there was an attic into which she had never ventured. When she finally got in she found a whole rack of rifles the museum never knew they owned – all by F Jeannet, and all of which will go on display with the rifle I gave then as soon as she could get a cabinet built.

So the story here is I feel great about doing something gracious and the rifle, after 150 years has finally made it back home where it was built.

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: A story about a gun that went home.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »
Good story and good doings!

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:41:07 PM »
A very gracious, and proper gesture, well done. We at the Ohio Longrifle Collectors have often offered Ohio made rifles back to the family of the builder.
Mark
Mark

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 02:39:01 AM »
Well done!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 05:56:15 AM »
Great story!!   Ask her to send photos of the exhibit and post them here,

Thanks
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:06:19 AM »
Holzwurn your story of the gun that went home is typical on this side of the pond ,the part of  antique weapons locked away  is mostly political more so here in the Uk.With our strict gun laws 90% of antique guns  on display at local museums were taken from public view,most ended up in damp cellars or in store rooms or attics covered in other unwanted antiques. I have approached many museums here in the UK   to examine these guns to aid my research in the local guntrade for which I mostly receive the following answer {No it is not the museums policy to encourage the general public in firearms}.
I hope your gun does go on public display along with all the others in the Swiss museum  it is in its best interest providing they are taken out  and cleaned and oiled regularly .Lets not forget the gun is part of our history not to dispose of as we please we hold them in trust for those that come after.
Feltwad

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:55:09 PM »
This is just too good.  :o

My wife and I will be traveling to Paris, Prague, and Neuchatel this June where I'll be performing. We'll be staying in Neuchatel for about a week visiting her haunts of college days and my great-grandfather's birthplace.

What fun it will be to visit your rifle! We are now going to free up a day of our time to make the journey to Le Locle, and will try to get some photos of the collection. Watch this space along about July, and I hope to have something for y'all to read and see.

I'm excited!  ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

holzwurm

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 12:16:46 AM »
I have ask her for some pictures when they get the display up. I'm thinking that these things take the museum a lot of time to pull together. But, she was so enthusiastic about getting it she may put the project ahead of something else. I'll let her know that I have friends who will be coming by in June expecting to see the collection.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:22:11 AM by holzwurm »

brokenflint

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 04:33:10 AM »
Way to go Jerry WO HA !!!

Broke

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:35:28 PM »
What a great story. Three cheers to you sir!

holzwurm

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 02:29:36 AM »
This is just too good.  :o

My wife and I will be traveling to Paris, Prague, and Neuchatel this June where I'll be performing. We'll be staying in Neuchatel for about a week visiting her haunts of college days and my great-grandfather's birthplace.

What fun it will be to visit your rifle! We are now going to free up a day of our time to make the journey to Le Locle, and will try to get some photos of the collection. Watch this space along about July, and I hope to have something for y'all to read and see.

I'm excited!  ;D

I just got another email from Caroline. She is busy setting up a display of paintings and etchings. She though she might not get around to the gun display till 2011 sometime. Keep that in mind if your planning to go over to see the gun???

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »
I just got another email from Caroline. She is busy setting up a display of paintings and etchings. She though she might not get around to the gun display till 2011 sometime. Keep that in mind if your planning to go over to see the gun???
[/quote]
Holzwurm  Hope Caroline keeps her word but I have heard and seen this  before .Many things can happen  before 2011  and displays in museums can change  with gun displays shoved  into the background and locked away in some  room.
Here in the UK antique weapons such as guns  etc are rarely seen on display  only in special museums that house only arms and armour such as the London Tower  and Leeds Armoury
Feltwad

Offline Kermit

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 03:59:37 AM »
In Switzerland, where every male is required to have and practice with a rifle, there's a bit different attitude toward guns. When I've visited there in the past, I've always seen displays of firearms even in little village museums. It's pretty cool, actually.  :)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West