Author Topic: A barrel I want to salvage  (Read 1072 times)

Offline tom coffey

• Starting Member
A barrel I want to salvage
« on: June 05, 2023, 12:38:14 AM »

Here a couple of pics of a barrel I would like to use. It has seven grooves so I cannot accurately measure land to land. The best I can do is 3/8" with my calipers. The barrel is currently in a half-stock but  lugs have been removed that indicate either  the stock has been shortened or changed. How should I start, knowing the barrel is unloaded, and unobstructed, to clean the bore? And what caliber would it be? 40? Thanks.

Offline Mattox Forge

Re: A barrel I want to salvage
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 12:49:35 AM »
If you know someone with gauge pins, you could have them help you determine what the bore size is.

Mike

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 02:49:04 AM »
I start by un-breeching the barrel. If it has a drum, often it is threaded into the breech plug and it must be removed first. Next, I start with a loose-fitting jag- green scotchbrite combination with the barrel saturated with any water-soluble solvent like WD-40. Expect to ruin a lot of scotchbrite. Sometimes I’ll plug the barrel and drum and fill it with solvent to loosen things up. After I get to where I can pass a scotchbrite patch without shredding it and things are not muddy I take a look. Then decisions are made on whether I will re-cut the rifling.
Andover, Vermont

Offline okawbow

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 04:58:08 AM »
The muzzle looks filed or coned. You will need to push a lead slug through the barrel and measure that to get an accurate bore diameter. The muzzle is larger than the bore.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline tom coffey

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 03:16:33 AM »

The breech plug came out easier than I expected. I pushed several pieces of red scotchbrite pad thru the bore and it now looks pretty good. The barrel will soak for a few days in Evaporust.

The muzzle after a brushing.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 03:20:25 AM by tom coffey »

Offline tom coffey

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 07:03:33 PM »

I am pleased at how good the barrel looked after about 14 hours in Evaporust. I believe it will brown nicely when the time comes.  There are very few dents and dings to fix.
 I found a drill bit that fit the bore, a little on the tight side, and checked it with my micrometer. Looks like .3518 +/- to me. I suppose I'll try .350 balls and figure out what patch to use?
It's all back in the soak ' til tomorrow. Then I'll work on cleaning the bore some more.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 10:50:17 AM by tom coffey »

Offline tom coffey

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 06:47:49 PM »
The bore is not cleaning up like I hoped it would. My original goal was to at least get the lands shiny. Now I would settle for a bore that did not snag patches. I'm still working on that.

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 02:28:54 AM »
I start by un-breeching the barrel. If it has a drum, often it is threaded into the breech plug and it must be removed first. Next, I start with a loose-fitting jag- green scotchbrite combination with the barrel saturated with any water-soluble solvent like WD-40. Expect to ruin a lot of scotchbrite. Sometimes I’ll plug the barrel and drum and fill it with solvent to loosen things up. After I get to where I can pass a scotchbrite patch without shredding it and things are not muddy I take a look. Then decisions are made on whether I will re-cut the rifling.

Send it to Rich to fresh up the rifling for you!
John
John Robbins

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 04:05:07 AM »
There is a fascinating section in the book "For Beginners Only", which goes into detail about salvaging old bores.
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/